Tuesday, September 2, 2014

Tree Trouble

While I was in the back yard the other day, I looked to the small patch of trees that borders the eastern side of our property and spotted trouble.  All of the leaves on two water oaks were dead or dying.  I thought that perhaps they had been struck by lightning as we've had some monstrous storms here lately.  This little patch of woods serves as shade for all of our animals and is important to the ecosystem on on our little farm.

During the peak of the heat during summer days, you'll find the dairy cows lounging in the shade, chewing their cud lazily while the chickens dig holes in the cool dirt and sit in them to cool themselves.  We have the paddocks set up in such a way where the animals can always go to the shade trees and water at will and then return to their grass eating once it cools in the late afternoons and early mornings.  The Nubian goats, since they are indigenous to Africa, don't appear to be affected as much as the Jersey Cows.

Anyway, the trees that were dying are what we call Water Oaks.  They are in the Red Oak family.  These trees all have scars in the side of them that appear to be fire damage from when they were much younger, but they have healed over.  The trees further to the east, but still on our property are pecan trees and those trees have grown and are crowding out the water oaks.  In response, the water oaks bend and grow westward.

When I went to check out the trees, upon closer examination, I see that they were not struck by lightning as evidenced by a couple of things I observed:


Two trees in the process of dying
Notice this odd damage to the bark:

Bark damage
And notice the 'sawdust' at the base of each of the affected trees:

"Sawdust"
I did a little research and determined that this damage matches that of the Red Oak Borer.  Here is a picture of this bad boy below:

Image Credit
And here is the larvae of the red oak borer.  I've seen these many times when splitting firewood and it is amazing how they can chew tunnels into mature hardwood.  While splitting firewood, I'll toss these to the chickens and they devour them.  I'm not exaggerating when I tell you that I've seen them 3 inches long and as big around as your index finger.

Image Credit
So what do we do?  Well, I'm going to have to cut those trees down, split them and we'll stack the firewood for use later.  They are tall trees, so I'll have to be really careful so they don't fall over our garden or pasture perimeter fence.  It's not the end of the world.  We'll get a lot of use out of the firewood and the pecan trees will grow and make up for the shade that we've lost.  I guess this is a good example of why plant and animal diversity is important.  Having different trees on the property ensures that if one variety is attacked by disease or insects, you've got others that will be unaffected and that's a good thing, because on hot summer days, the cows need their shade.  And so do I!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...