Sunday, September 7, 2014

Summertime Blues

It is the beginning of September and yet the high humidity and temperatures of South Louisiana summers are still with us.  Yesterday after work I put on my work clothes for farm chores and it didn't take even an hour before there was not a dry thread on my t-shirt.  I changed shirts and when I came inside at nightfall, the second shirt was wet through and through.

I look at the 10 day forecast and see that a cool front will be coming through in about a week that will drop temperatures 7 degrees.  I'm looking forward to that.  So are the cows.  Poor girls.  They move slow in the heat, panting, with their long tongues out.  I feel sorry for them.  Our Jersey cows, as their name suggests, originated from Jersey, a channel island right off France.  I looked up the average temperature there and it is 57 degrees Fahrenheit.  Louisiana's average annual temperature is 66 degrees F and is the third warmest state in the US.

Our cows will sit in the shade until the late afternoon and will gradually gravitate out to the pasture as the shadows appear in the late afternoon.  It is during these times that they can't keep up with the growth of the grass in the pasture and the grass grows tall, tough, and goes to seed.  The milk cows just don't like this weather. Yesterday after milking, Tricia asked if I wouldn't mind hosing Rosie and Daisy down with water to cool them off.  Not a problem.  I asked Benjamin to help spray as I went and turned on the water, remembering how good it felt to be sprayed off by a water hose when I was hot and sweaty.

Splish Splash!
I clipped Rosie's halter to a post on the corral.  Although the cooling of the water is welcome, it is a nuisance to the cows and they'll walk away if allowed, especially if you spray their heads.  Benjamin wet Rosie down all over.  I think I almost saw Rosie smile as her body temperature began to fall.  In addition to the high heat and humidity, summer months bring out the flies, horseflies, and deer flies which keep them working their tails to assuage the incessant biting.  It is no small wonder that when the first cold snap hits and flushes the heat, humidity and insects out into the Gulf of Mexico, the cows are frisky and run around kicking up their hooves.


Daisy patiently waited her turn to be hosed down.  While we have do have a couple of box fans in the barn, they are mainly for cooling US down as we milk.  It is doggone hot in the barn with no breeze blowing. 

Almost your turn, Daisy
You can almost see how the cool water rejuvenated Rosie, making her feel refreshed and ready to head out and eat some grass before nightfall.  She's holding her head a little higher and is more perky. Be patient, girls.  Fall and Winter are on their way...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...