Tuesday, September 23, 2014

How do chickens bathe?

Today was the first official day of Fall.  Normally in South Louisiana, the seasons are just arbitrary notations on a calendar.  For example, this year the first day of summer was June 21.  I'll give you a hint, though, it often feels like summer LONG before the first day of summer!  I have to tell you, on the first day of Fall, it felt like Fall!  There was a slight north breeze, the humidity was low, and the sky?  The sky was clear - no haze or fog to speak of.  The sunrise this morning was spectacular as the sun peeked above the Cajun prairie.  I was going to eat lunch in my office today, but instead opted to walk around outside.  I'd be lying if I told you that I can't wait to get home this afternoon to work in the garden.

Yesterday afternoon, I was scouting out an area to plant a Fall crop of Irish Potatoes.  I'm about two weeks late right now, but I'm going to give it a try anyway. While I was walking around I looked out in the barnyard and saw the dust flying. Let's go take a closer look to see what's going on!

Rub-a-dub-dub!
It's just our hens taking a bath.  Not in water but in dust.  That's what chickens do. It is odd, I know. When I want to take a bath, it is to get the dust off - not to put more on!  Birds and other animals seem to do this in order to groom themselves.  I watched the chickens closely to see their technique.

First, they get in an area where there is only dirt.  We have an area between the barn and the burn pile where grass doesn't grow.  This results in a dusty place where the chickens like to bathe.  They'll congregate there, using their feet to scratch little holes in the ground.  Then they'll stand up, ruffle their feathers, flap their wings, and wiggle their bodies into the hole, turning sideways, using their feet to windmill the dust onto their backs and heads.  It will create a mini-dust storm.

Then they'll stand up and vigorously shake the dust out of their feathers.  This cleans their feathers and removes any mites, lice, or other small parasites that might be hitchhiking on the birds.  I think the theory is that the dust asphyxiates the parasites.  If you get on "How to raise chicken" websites, they'll all tell you that you must build a dust bath for your birds as it is an important part of their health regimen.  It is quite easy - you make a box and deposit fireplace ashes, road dust, sand and diatomaceous earth into it.  If you build it, they will come.  It is ingrained in their very "chicken-ness."

The Dust-bowl days
If your birds free-range, you really don't need to build a dust bath.  I guarantee you that your birds will build their own!  You'll have numerous indentations like you can see in the photo above that constitutes the 'Chicken Spa.'  Although it is Fall and is getting a little cooler, I think the dust bath provides a secondary benefit. Chickens (and dogs, for that matter) will dig in the dirt and rest in the hole.  I think that laying in the dirt below the surface provides a means of cooling their bodies.  

Despite being humorous for us to watch, chickens dust bathing is a very critical part of their hygiene that aids in their overall health.  As for me?  I'll stick to water baths, thank you very much.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...