Thursday, September 11, 2014

Recalculating...

I ended Yesterday's post kind of awkwardly and I wanted to go ahead and wrap it up, so here goes...

We were talking about how as a culture we've become so dependant.  In a relatively short period of time, we've lost much of the self-reliance that our forebears possessed.  I remember when the GPS first came out and I borrowed one from my parents when I was going on a trip.  The thing amazed me.  By golly, I'll never get lost again!  But an odd thing happened.  I needed gas and when I got off on an exit, the lady in the GPS wanted me to still be en route to my destination.  Undeterred by my deviation off course to get gasoline, the GPS lady began (annoyingly) trying to get me back on course by saying, "Recalculating" very often.  She was making alternate routes to try to get me back where I needed to be.

Image Credit
Recalculating...  You know I began to think about that in terms of my life.  I had gotten off course.  I still get off course.  I need the little lady in the GPS (or someone) to get me back on course.  Sadly, in our consumerist country, people are running around willy-nilly entertaining themselves, purchasing goods and services in an attempt to find the ever-elusive happiness they are after.  You're not going to hear much about self-reliance or becoming less dependant.  We're all so busy.  So very busy.  We don't take time to stop and think and plan.

Speaking of modern conveniences like the GPS, I remember before cell phones, when you went to a motel and needed to get up at a certain time, you'd call the front desk for a wake up call.  Now you don't need the front desk clerk to do this, you just set the alarm on your phone so you don't miss your meeting or appointment.  Don't we desperately need a wake up call though?  A wake up call that re-focuses our attention to the things that really matter, to reset our priorities, to regain what's been lost.

On 9/11 thirteen years ago, we got a wake up call.  Our Nation was attacked, innocent people perished, our Stock Market plunged, many tears were shed and fear was palpable.  Our political leaders put aside their differences and assembled on the steps of the Capitol Building and sang, "God Bless America."  Our churches were filled to capacity.  We recommitted ourselves to God.  We reached out to family, friends, and neighbors in gestures of love.  We vowed to not forget.

Image Credit
Some how or another, the world kept turning, things returned to some semblance of normalcy, the Stock Market rebounded and we've morphed back to complacency. I'm no prophet, but our debt load, our economy, our current way of life is not sustainable.  There are storm clouds on the horizon and a prudent man prepares.

A song called "Song of the South" by the country group Alabama has the following lyrics:

Well somebody told us wall street fell
But we were so poor that we couldn't tell
The cotton was short, and the weeds was' tall
But Mr. Roosevelt's a' gonna save us all

Well momma got sick, and daddy got down
The county got the farm, and we moved to town
Poppa got a job with the TVA
We bought a washing machine, and then a Chevrolet

Song song of the south
Sweet potato pie, and I shut my mouth
Gone, gone with the wind
There ain't nobody looking back again


It seems that they are telling us that life was horrible in the rural South - that moving to the city and depending on the Government was progress.  Call me a cynic, but I'm not going to sit around and wait for "Mr. Roosevelt to save us all." That ain't happening!  So what do we do?  How do we start becoming more self-reliant?

Well, there are many strategies and plans that have been written to prepare for the coming crisis by men that I'm not fit to tie their shoe laces.  The best I've found is Herrick Kimball's Agrarian Style Economic Self Defense Plan.  I'm telling you, click the link and read it.  It is well worth your time to click the link and read it. It is simple, wise, profound.  Toward the end of his post, he lists a Seven Step Plan. As a family, we've begun a journey to attempt to follow that plan.  The plan is easy to follow and anyone can do it.

I can't say it any better than Mr. Kimball did.  One thing that I want to mention is there are lots of merchants of fear out there, doomsayers, people that actually look gleefully at destruction.  I'm not one of those people.  To be perfectly honest, if a financial collapse never happens, if a hurricane never hits our coast, if World War III never breaks out or terrorists never detonate another bomb, if there is never an interruption in our supply of food and fuel, if TEOTWAWKI never happens, guess what?  Regardless, it is simply a good life to try to live a more self sufficient lifestyle. It is liberating to decide to stop trying to keep up with the Joneses and determining to raise your family with antique virtues in a way that that is somewhat isolated from a lot of the insanity that surrounds us and I find it is good for the soul.

Finally, in recalculating, I would be remiss if I didn't mention the most important thing: Get right with God.  There is an old song whose words are timeless and true:  Turn Your Eyes Upon Jesus

  1. O soul, are you weary and troubled?
    No light in the darkness you see?
    There’s light for a look at the Savior,
    And life more abundant and free!
    • Refrain:
      Turn your eyes upon Jesus,
      Look full in His wonderful face,
      And the things of earth will grow strangely dim,
      In the light of His glory and grace.
  2. Through death into life everlasting
    He passed, and we follow Him there;
    O’er us sin no more hath dominion—
    For more than conqu’rors we are!
  3. His Word shall not fail you—He promised;
    Believe Him, and all will be well:
    Then go to a world that is dying,
    His perfect salvation to tell!

"Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous! Do not tremble or be dismayed, for the LORD your God is with you wherever you go."  Joshua 1:9





No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...