Friday, August 1, 2014

Foraging for Chanterelle Mushrooms in South Louisiana

A good friend of ours has some land just east of our home that is on Bayou Nezpique. Since it sits on the bayou, it is obviously low-lying acreage, but the land has a gradual rise and a heavily wooded property thickly populated with old growth oak, cypress, tupelo gum trees and palmetto.  It just so happens that it is a perfect area for chanterelle mushrooms!  Our friend allows us to go foraging for mushrooms on his land and we happened to go out earlier this week on our first foray for chanterelles. The friend is part of a mycological society and is knowledgeable on what to look for and was eager to pass along some knowledge.

Honestly, mushrooms always have scared me as some are indeed deadly, but our friend taught us to just be able to positively identify the two main edible mushrooms that grow in our area - Chanterelles and Oyster Mushrooms.  Today we'll show you how we foraged for chanterelles.  We drove the short 5 minute drive to his land and arrived around 7:30 pm after the milking was done and things had started to cool off a little.  We had to rush since the sun was quickly going down.  Since we were walking in the woods under a thick canopy of leaves, it was dark, so please forgive the quality of my pictures.

We first made sure to wear boots as there are snakes in the area.  We also each broke off a stick and waved it in front of us as we walked as Banana spiders weave huge webs that I don't want to walk into and certainly don't want one of those big fellas to fall on me.  There are numerous wild hogs out there and we crossed trails that they had made through the undergrowth.  Russ chased an armadillo that was rooting around for grubs.  We also heard owls hooting.  Tricia wasn't particularly thrilled to be trekking through the woods with all these critters, but she's a trooper and stuck with it.

I guess the first thing that amazed me is the fact that we have delicacies all around us that we literally walk past every day without realizing the worth.  I've spent lots of time in the woods and have seen chanterelles and walked right past them or maybe even kicked them over.  All that changed today.  I'll not walk past them again.  It didn't take long before we spotted some!

Chanterelles!
Chanterelles grow in the dirt - never in wood, so you should walk around slowly, with your eyes sweeping the forest floor.  (Good protection against stepping on snakes, too.)  The chanterelles range in color from light yellow to orange and rather than having a toadstool appearance, they are fluted, having a trumpet shape. You can also see on the ground an unripe, green muscadine that has fallen out of the tree.  These wild grapes grow like crazy out here and I assume squirrels or birds have knocked them off the vine prematurely. Chanterelles most often appear from July - September and normally right after a rain, so we are in the prime season for them.

Chanterelle and muscadines
Mushrooms are a fungi and we learned that the mushroom itself is the "fruit."  The actual fruit is produced by the mycelium.  The mycelium is the vegetative part of the fungi that is like tiny threads, or roots that you can't see.  So what you want to do when you see one is to cut it instead of pulling it so that you leave the mycelium intact to grow more.  Also, when you see one, look around closely, because there will be more, hiding under leaves.  You want to be real careful to not step on them or compact the soil.  Remember where you found them and check back in a few weeks for more.  Below is a most beautiful chanterelle and is exactly the color of homemade butter made from grass-fed Jersey cows on new growth grass in Springtime!

Just like Butter!
The best way to store mushrooms is in a paper bag.  If you store them in plastic they won't be able to breathe.  When we got home, we took showers to get rid of the itching from the mosquito bites and spider webs in our hair and we opened the bag to admire our harvest.

Bag of goodies!
We weighed them and found that we had picked right over a pound of chanterelles.  A quick search showed the market value of chanterelles being anywhere between $26 - $40 per pound.  I assume that the price for them is so high because they are very hard to cultivate and are most often just found in the wild.  We're not going to try to sell any of these though.  We're gonna eat them!

A little over a pound
And here are the spoils of victory from our first forage for Chanterelle mushrooms all laid out on the counter:

Admiring our golden treasure.
You can see the trumpet shape of the chanterelle below:


And here is a very good illustration of another identifying mark of a chanterelle - they don't have gills like other mushrooms.  They have wrinkles instead, or ridges.  I'm told that chanterelles have a fruity fragrance, like that of apricots, but my sense of smell must be lacking as I only pick up an "earthy" scent.

Wrinkles of the chanterelle
And here are a couple of twin chanterelles, promising to be double good.


We brushed these off to clean them up and then we'll saute them in a cast iron skillet with some butter, sea salt and a splash of red wine.

Into the skillet
And they'll nicely pair with some pot roast with new potatoes, rice & gravy, sauerkraut and gingered carrots.

Supper time
Here's a close-up of some nice sauteed chanterelle mushrooms, just picked from the forest floor just west of the Bayou Nezpique:

Chanterelles for supper
These were simply delicious!  We also cook them with pasta and fresh vegetables, and I'm thinking they'll be outstanding in an omelet made with fresh picked eggs from our hens. In summary, we learned a lot and found a real 'honey hole' full of nice chanterelles that will provide us a few good meals that we will savor and enjoy. We also forage for Oyster Mushrooms in our area.  Check out THIS POST to see how we harvest the oysters.





21 comments:

  1. It looks like you pulled them completely out of the ground. Next time cut them at the bottom of the stem and they will grow back!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Next time I'll definitely bring a knife! Thank you.

      Delete
  2. The woods in this area (EBR) are FULL of chanterelles this week! Last Sunday in 2.5 hours, part of which during a rain, two of us collected 21 lb.s, weighed on a certified scale! I used a small sharp knife to cut them off, which makes cleaning them so much easier. When I go our today, I'll bring scissors... I saved my "debris" from cleaning and "seeded" the oaks in the median of my street (near LSU).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bowfin,
      21 pounds! Wow!! I haven't had an opportunity to go out foraging for them again lately, but a good friend confirmed what you said about the woods being full of chanterelles. He said the rainfall has contributed to a perfect environment for chanterelles. He's brought me two bags of them. We ate them with scrambled eggs on Saturday. They were fantastic.

      I hope you are successful in getting them to grow amongst the oaks near LSU. Cheers!

      Delete
  3. To all chanterelle lovers, We are along the Bogue Falaya just above Covington and are having a bumper crop (for us--no 21 lbs. here). When it rains, we get new, fresh and tender ones.

    Right now my husband a/k/a my personal chef is making chanterelle bisque: Saute a shallot (not a green onion)& a garlic clove in butter for a minute. Add 1 tbls. flour & make a white roux.

    Tsp. Creole seasoning mix. 2 cups mixture of chicken stock & milk. Add a little cream. Stir together over heat. Add chanterelles. Simmer for 10 mins. Season as necessary--salt, squeeze of lemon. Add tsp. Sherry or Brandy.

    Makes 2 cups. You can use this with any mushroom soup.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Re: chanterelle bisque. Just got word from my "chef" that 1/2 tsp. seasoning would be best so the chanterelle flavor wouldn't be over-powered.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That sounds fantastic!! Thanks for sharing the recipe. I can't wait to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Greetings mycologists! I recently read an article by James Fox-Smith in Country Roads Magazine in which he described the joy of hunting for Chanterelles in West Feliciana Parish. Although I've never tasted this delicacy, I've been inspired to educate myself before I venture into the woods.

    I was very happy to find this article and discussion, and am now even more anxious to start hunting. Additionally, I want to learn about morels, oyster mushrooms, and any other wild, tasty fungi.

    We bought a home in St. Francisville last year, and will be moving there once we downsize and sell our home in River Ridge. Mushroom hunting will add a new dimension to hiking in the beautiful Tunica Hills.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks Bruce! I need to search for that article in Country Roads and read it. You'll have a blast foraging for the mushrooms and learning about them. The amazing part to me is that they are all around and all these years I've been walking right past them and not knowing what I was missing. Enjoy. St. Francisville is a beautiful area.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm very curious about the friend who belongs to a mycology club. I live in south Louisiana and haven't found anything close. Would be great to get some info. I'm here in Lafayette area.

    Daniel

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Daniel, Thanks for the note. I checked with my buddy and he's a member of Gulf States Mycological Society in Newton, Tx. They forage through the woods in East Texas and learn a lot about identifying different mushrooms in the area. It is not right next door, but is close enough. My friend highly recommends the Society. Check them out here: www.gsmyco.org/

      Delete
  9. I wish I could find something wild and edible around DeRidder. I buy the hen of the woods from people on Ebay. I don't trust myself to go out and look or oysters and chanterelles. Around in DeRidder we have lots of piney forests. I guess I need to be looking around for damp okay areas.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Enjoyed reading and the information is very lighting I love mushrooms in forging for them I live in Hammond Louisiana

    ReplyDelete
  11. Anyone in Louisiana buying chanterell Mushrooms this year 2019 contact me plze.jamiestreet2016@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello. I was looking for the same info. I've been eating them all my life. Everyone seems to give you that look when you talk about picking mushrooms. If I ask 100 people about them, maybe 1 will know what am talking about. I tried emailing you, but the address is no good. Any info on this would be greatly appreciated.

      Delete
    2. I left out my email.... Geezzz Sghendry68@gmail.com.
      Thanks

      Delete
  12. Does anyone know a place I can find out more information at please let me know thank you

    ReplyDelete
  13. anyone buy them near amite Louisiana please let me kno bjwarren884@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. any buyers near hammond LA bjwarren884@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. Looks like a bumper crop of Chantrelles in Independence LA this year! I have fresh pickings that I'd like to sell. Does anyone know of a buyer in Tangipahoa Parish?

    ReplyDelete
  16. I picked one pound of chantrelles today in Covington near the highway heading up to folsom in five minutes while taking my lunch break from work. I think the rain has been the key

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...