Sunday, January 20, 2019

By Far Our Favorite Way to Prepare Cauliflower (And Broccoli)

It's been a while since I posted a recipe, but here's one that I've got to share.  It's oven roasted cauliflower (and broccoli) with garlic and oil.  Lately, we have been harvesting a lot of cauliflower.  In fact, we have so much coming in at the same time that we'll have to blanch some (more on that later!)

Cauliflower, when it is ripe, is a beautiful vegetable.  It is a full, white snowball.  I always want to pick it at its prime.  Sometimes I'll let it go a day too late, but it's still good to eat.  In the past, we'd steam cauliflower, and that is doggone good.  But, we discovered a new way to eat it that I think is superior to steamed.  In fact, with all the cauliflower coming in, we ate it three nights in a row last week and I'm still not tired of it.

A big beautiful head of cauliflower

I'll harvest the cauliflower head off of the plant, leaving the big leaves on the stalk.  I use a big knife to separate it from the stalk.


Invariably, the cows will see me in the garden and will come running to beg.  I will relent and feed them the cauliflower greens.  Those girls love fresh garden produce.  They poke their big noses over the fence and stick out their tongues...


I'll harvest the broccoli heads, too, once they've reached their zenith, but I don't feed the cows the greens from the broccoli.  I'll tell you more about that later this week.


So, to prepare oven roasted cauliflower and broccoli, simply break up heads of broccoli and cauliflower into florets.  Don't toss the stalks.  They are good eating, too!  Preheat your oven to 450 degrees.  Layer the broccoli and cauliflower on a baking sheet.  Take a quarter cup of coconut oil and drizzle over the top of the broccoli and cauliflower and toss to coat.  Liberally add sea salt and cracked black pepper and mince 5 cloves of garlic.  Sprinkle it all over the top and toss some more.  Put into the oven and roast for 15 minutes.  Stir and continue roasting for an additional 10 minutes.


Then take out and serve.  I double dog dare you not to taste before you spoon some onto your plate.


I'm convinced it cannot be done!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...