Wednesday, January 9, 2019

Getting a Jump Start on Spring

Let's take a look at the tomatoes that I rescued from the carrot row a couple of weeks ago.  Yesterday, temperatures hit 74 degrees, so they've been really growing!


These tomatoes came up volunteer in the carrot row and I haven't a clue what variety they are.  If I can keep these bad boys alive for two and a half more months, we'll have early tomatoes.  My plan is to put them in the cold frame with a heat lamp on them when it gets cold.  We'll see if we are successful. 

Right now, they are on the back patio.  I walked out yesterday morning to water them and dew had fallen, leaving dew drops on the points of every leaf:


I've never had tomato plants that big during the first week of January.  The first week of January is normally the time that I plant all of my eggplant, peppers, and tomatoes from seed.  This year was no different.  On January 5th I got busy planting.

Here are my Florida Market Eggplant.  I planted 2 seeds in each seed pot to account for poor germination.  Later, I'll weed out the weaker plants.


I planted the following varieties of peppers:
Anaheim, Lipstick, Sweet Chocolate, Lilac Bell, Emerald Giant, Hot Jalapeno, Criolla Sella, Craig's Grande Jalapeno, Horizon, Banana, and TAM Mild Jalapeno.  Eleven varieties in all.  We love peppers!  Most were from seed companies, but two varieties were from seed saved from last year or previous years.


We also planted eleven varieties of tomatoes, including: Creole, Roma, Pink Brandywine, Mortgage Lifter, Amish Paste, Black Krim, Cherokee Purple, Black Vernissage, Thessaloniki, Big Rainbow, and a variety I call "Mrs. Linda" tomatoes.  They are an Italian variety someone gave me from tomatoes purchased at Wal Mart, of all places.  They are prolific producers.


They were planted 1/8 inch deep in seed starting soil.  The trick will be to keep the soil moist until germination.  This light soil tends to dry out quickly.


Once they germinate, I'll bring the grow light inside and position it above the plants.  We'll keep you posted on how the plants grow.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...