Wednesday, January 2, 2019

Fences Make Good Neighbors

I have lamented recently about our cats getting into our garden and wreaking havoc by digging up freshly planted carrots and using the garden row as their personal latrine.  This ends now!  I must take some responsibility for this since I've allowed the picket fence to fall into disrepair.  When we built our barn years ago, I made homemade pickets out of the leftover lumber.  I was pleased with the outcome and we painted the fence white like Tom Sawyer.  There was one problem, however.  The wood wasn't treated and so the pickets rotted.  You can see where the rotten pickets have fallen off of the fence and created openings where the cats are able to get it and do their dirty business.


I did a little shopping and found some 8 foot, 3.5 feet tall wooden fence panels.  They are made with treated Southern Yellow Pine and the panels retail for about $27.  I purchased four of them and got ready to install them.  First I had to dismantle the deteriorated fence.  I pulled them off a little at a time.  Using a level, I ensured the fence was straight and true.


It didn't take me long to have most of the fence erected.  The only thing left to go is rebuilding the gate.  That is going to take a little fabricating.


I'll have to take the last remaining 8 foot panel and cut it into two pieces.  A two foot section will make up the last portion of the fence anchored into the last two support posts.  The remainder will be used as the gate after I fasten hinges and a latch onto it.  It will open toward the interior of the garden. I'll have to wait for some better weather, though.  It rains every cotton-pickin' day!



While the new fence is taller, it has a big short-coming.  The slats between the pickets are four inches wide and cats and other critters can easily get between them and into the garden as you can see below.


One the entire fence is erected, I plan on stapling chicken wire across the inside of the fence, creating an impenetrable barrier that will keep the cats and chickens at bay.  I'll post final pictures of the completed fence when I'm able to get it done.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...