Monday, September 2, 2013

Not getting away this time

A while back I posted that we are in the process of weaning Annie, Nellie's little kid.  I read that it is best if you separate them, but allow them to see each other, so I built a temporary pen with some livestock panels. Two of them were hog panels, though, that aren't as tall as a cattle panel.  Annie quickly escaped from that pen.

This week I called my neighbor and asked if I could borrow a couple of cattle panels that I saw stacked on a trailer in his back yard.  No problem, he said, come and get them.  It is good to have good neighbors!  In no time I replace the shorter panels with the taller ones and moved Annie back in.  Guess what?  She couldn't jump out of this pen.

Too tall to jump outta this pen.
The only problem is that there is no shade and Annie was getting hot.  Benjamin moved her back to the barn. In the evening I got a blue tarp and fastened it in a corner to provide some shade.  Problem solved.  She's a happy little goat now.  Benjamin & Tricia cut some branches for her to nibble on.  Nellie comes by to check on her little girl and will sit by her pen dutifully for a while before going about her daily routine of grazing.  I'm going to do some more research to see how long it takes to wean a goat.  This is our first time weaning a goat, so I'm not very knowledgeable about it.


When I went into the feed room at the barn, I saw that I had caught another rat in the cage trap I have in there baited with pecans.  I picked up the cage, shook it up real good to stun the rat and then opened the trap door on the cage and tossed it into the barnyard.  All the chickens came running and Sally was the quickest one and ran off with her tasty snack.

Fresh killed rat for supper.  Yum Yum
Sally took off running with her supper with all the other chickens giving chase.  After eating the rice I throw them every day, I guess a little protein (in the form of a rat) is a change of pace and puts some variety in the menu.

Finders keepers - losers weepers

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...