Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Browse for Goats and a Surprise

Tricia told me that yesterday she went out in the afternoon to milk Nellie, our goat, and she hardly got any milk at all.  Her production has been going down somewhat which is a natural occurrence once a goat gets several months past giving birth, but this was such a drastic reduction that it was troubling to us.  What was going on with our milk?

We've had Annie (Nellie's little kid) separated in a temporary pen made with cattle panels in order to wean her.  Since she's no longer on her momma's milk, we move her temporary pen (that is 16 feet by 16 feet) every other day so that she can be on fresh grass.  But goats are naturally browsers.  They like to eat leafy vegetation from trees and shrubs.  I have been giving Nellie and Annie some browse to eat.

First thing i n the morning and last thing in the afternoon, I've been getting my ladder and some trimmers and clipping some leafy stuff to the goats to eat on.


Tools of the trade
The trimmers are on a long pole which enables me to reach up high to get some branches that need trimming anyway.  They have a saw on the end and also some spring loaded clippers which enable you to put limbs in the cutting channel and pull a rope that pulls a sharp blade across the channel to cut the limb.

Saw/Clipper Combo
Here's an example of a larger branch that I sawed off and the goats will make quick work of it.  Doing this provides a dual benefit.  It allows me to trim our trees that need trimming AND provides a tasty meal for Nellie and Annie.

A big branch for the goats to eat on
Once I cut the branches I'll throw a few in Annie's pen and the rest into the pasture for Nellie to eat.  They waste no time in eating all the leaves off and then the following day I haul the leafless branches to the burning pile.
Yummy
After I tossed the branches over, I stood and watched them eat.  Nellie nibbled a bit on hers but then craned her neck through the panel and began eating on Annie's leaves.  Hmmmm.

Aha
And then it hit me.  Just as Nellie figured out how to get her neck through the panel to eat leaves, Annie figured out how to get her neck through the panel to nurse on her momma.

Busted!
What to do?  Well, Google is our friend.  Believe it or not, there is a contraption called a "Goat Bra" that will fit over Nellie so that Annie can't get to the OUR milk.  Here's a prototype we found on Homesteading Today:
Photo Credit
All I can say is, "Wow!"  Tricia will be getting out her sewing machine and will be sewing a bra for Nellie. This is going to be something to see.  We'll be sure to have a fashion show once it is complete!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...