Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Harvesting Basil/Making Pesto

Basil is one of the easiest things to grow.  Actually, we don't have to plant it anymore.  It just comes up on its own from seed.  When I recognize the distinctive leaves of the basil seedling, I'll dig it up and re-plant it in one row.  When it gets warm basil really rows quickly and puts out flowers that attract honeybees.

I'll try to get out and harvest all the tender, new basil leaves to make pesto.  Our family really enjoys this dish.  Basil is so fragrant.  As you're harvesting it, the fragrance fills the air and the scent stays on your fingers.  I think I posted on this a year ago, but for those who missed it, this is an annual occurrence.  Join us as we go out to the garden and then into the kitchen.
Perfect for making pesto
To make our pesto recipe, I use the following ingredients which will make 32 ounces of Pesto:

  • 4 cups fresh Basil, packed in a measuring cup
  • 1 cup grated Parmesan Cheese
  • 1 cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
  • 2/3 cups pecans (well, why not?  The recipe calls for pine nuts or walnuts.  Pecans are cheaper & better!)
  • 6 garlic cloves
  • Salt & Pepper

I've picked 4 cups of fresh basil leaves and packed them into a measuring cup
4 cups basil leaves
I'll grate up a cup of Parmesan Cheese.

Grated Parmesan Cheese
All of the ingredients from top left going clockwise: basil leaves, grated Parmesan cheese, peppercorns, Olive oil, kosher salt, fresh cured garlic, and pecans.

All of the ingredients
I wash the pesto leaves very good as there are lots of bugs in the garden this time of year.  Drain as much as you can.

Wash 'em up
Next I'll mince the garlic in the processor.

Minced garlic smelling good
I'll add the pecans to the processor and then slowly add all of the basil leaves until everything is chopped up super-fine.

It's coming together now.
While you puree, slowly pour the olive oil into the processor and mix up.  I like to stick my nose by the hole and smell the wonderful smell coming out of the processor as the pesto comes together.

Adding Extra Virgin Olive Oil
Finally, add the grated Parmesan Cheese, salt and pepper and continue to puree until mixed well.

Parmesan Cheese
We use a rubber spoon to get every last morsel of pesto out of the processor.

Ready to eat or freeze
We find that Pesto freezes nicely.  We'll use old 16 ounce sour cream containers in which to freeze the pesto.  We find that pasta and a 16 ounce container of pesto feeds our family perfectly.

Ready to go into the freezer
This is a quick, delicious meal, so I'll try to make/freeze a dozen such containers so that we can thaw them out as needed.  Once I get that stored away, we'll dry a bunch of basil leaves for seasoning things like spaghetti.  We'll also use some to make Basil-infused Olive oil.  We've got a lot of basil this year so I'll be looking to give some away and also find new things to try basil in.  Believe it or not, there is a recipe for Basil ice cream.  Interesting.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...