Friday, July 5, 2013

Animal Farm

I watch with interest things going on in the world.  Right now Egypt has an estimated 17 million people in the streets protesting to replace their current president Morsi, who has been serving for a year.  I've never seen so many people in the streets before.  It is quite amazing.  The world seems like a powder keg right now.  MarketWatch writes that Egyptians are unhappy with economic issues that have not improved and the increasing influence of the Muslim Brotherhood in the political affairs of their country.

As I walk around our little peaceful farm, I am struck by the stark contrast between rural, pastoral peace and quiet in the our barnyard/pasture against the unrest and throngs of people in Cairo.  And then it hit me...  We don't have a democracy on our farm.  We are, in effect, benevolent dictators.  Although we treat our animals like members of the family, we make the decisions and they don't have a 'voice' in their governance.  What if our animals have grievances and are plotting an overthrow of human rule on our farm?  I'd better check in on them.  It's good for the King to mingle with his subjects every now and again.

Daisy and Bully seem to have guilty looks on their faces and the hens began acting busy all of a sudden when I walked up.  I may have interrupted something.  Nah.  It's just my imagination running away with me.
Could I have interrupted a planning session for the takeover of the farm?
Rosie looks up with a smirk on her face, showing contempt, I think.  Yes, she's definitely a member of a subversive animal group.

Nothing to see here, human, keep moving...
And Magnolia heightens my suspicions by sticking her tongue at me, showing utter disdain for the local governing body at Our Maker's Acres Family Farm.
That's disrespectful, Maggie!
The turkeys slinked away furtively - on their way, no doubt, to paint up some protest banners.

What a bunch of turkeys!
Sweet little Annie.  She's much to young to join an anarchy movement on the farm, isn't she?

Just a kid
But then Nellie seems to be indoctrinating Annie with anti-government ideology.

Like mother like daughter
I've stumbled upon a militia meeting undoubtedly.  All of the key players are present at this little assembly.  What a bunch of rabble rousers, scheming, plotting, planning...  If only I could wiretap them and secretly find out what they are conspiring...

A Barnyard Revolt Planning Rally?
As I walked up to the barn, Maggie and Bully seem to be scoping out something.  What could it be?

Barn wall or canvas?
I'll check in the morning.  If I see the following painted on the barn wall, I'll know we're in deep doo doo:

In George Orwell's allegory "Animal Farm," the pigs organize a revolt and rebellion in which they run Farmer Jones off the farm and assume command of farm operations.  They originally painted 7 commandments on the side of the barn, but reduced them to one - "All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others."

On our farm Daisy would no doubt set herself up as queen.  As for a revolt?  Ain't gonna happen.  We treat our animals great AND we don't have any stinking hogs to instigate the rebellion!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...