Thursday, July 18, 2013

A Pedicure for Nellie

Goat's hooves need to be trimmed from time to time.  It's one of the things about keeping goats and sheep that you have to stay on top of.  I can remember being in 4H back in elementary school and I showed sheep.  Sometimes they would get 'foot rot' and it was disgusting.  You want to take a proactive stance in keeping hooves trimmed properly.

Goats like to climb.  There is no question about that.  Use that to your advantage.  Have some concrete blocks or something similar for them to climb on.  We have a pallet of bricks that our goats jump up on and in doing so, their hooves scrape the bricks and keep them somewhat trimmed, clean and sharp.

The first thing to do is just be observant.  They don't need to have their hooves trimmed weekly, but if you are around to check your animal, you'll know when it is needed.  Before trimming you'll want to get a scraper and clean the hooves, removing dirt and poop.  A couple of things to look for is when the hooves are overgrown, they'll turn under around the sides.

Before trimming I put Nellie, our Nubian Dairy Goat, in the stanchion that we built.  It keeps her from jumping around trying to get away.  I tell her what I'm about to do so she's not surprised and then I get my pair of hoof shears and get busy.  It doesn't take long if the hooves are in good shape.  I bought a good pair of shears from Burgon & Ball, a company in Sheffield, England.
Hoof shears
I don't know if you can see the really neat thing about this tool so I'll zoom in.  You see it below?  This company has been in business since 1730.  You read that right.  1730!  That's longevity, isn't it.  I think these things will last as I think that after 283 years, Burgon & Ball probably has all the kinks worked out and has hoof trimming figured out!
Wow!
So let's get started...

Nellie getting a pedicure
Take your time, though.  You don't want to rush it and cut the hooves down to the 'quick'.  That would be painful.  You want to do a good, even job.  Trim a little bit at a time.  Don't try to cut off too much at one time.

Crocs with socks?  I'm breaking an important fashion rule!  The fashion police will be around shortly to issue me a citation.
Although for humans it would be breaking every rule of etiquette to trim your toenails at the dinner table, we find that goats don't follow human code of conduct and don't mind having this done while they eat.  Actually it is a good distraction, so we add some feed to the trough while we clip.

Getting the front hooves now
Here is a photo that shows what I'm trying to do.  Nellie's hooves are actually in very good shape.  She had a little bit of overgrowth where the hoof was turning under and I trimmed that off.  The back portion of her hooves had grown faster than the front, though, leading it to look as if she's wearing high heels.  We'll want to trim the pads down to make the hoof nice and square.
A pedicurist with some sharp shears.  Look out!
You can see how I clipped off her 'high heels' and yes, I'm keeping my mind on what I'm doing as those shears would snip off my thumb in no time flat.
Think Safety!
Being proactive with hoof care is an important part of animal health and management. 

Abraham Lincoln once said, "Give me 6 hours to chop down a tree and I'll use the first 4 sharpening the ax." 
In other words, planning ahead and taking care of business saves you time, money and headache later on. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...