Wednesday, July 19, 2023

What to do with a Broody Hen?

We have a hen in the hen house that is broody.  That means she is in a "motherly way."  She wants to set and hatch out some baby chicks.  Every afternoon when I gather eggs, there she is sitting in the nest.  It's so hot!  I feel sorry for her.  Each day I've been picking her up and collecting eggs and closing up the nesting boxes.  If you don't close them, at night they roost in the boxes and poop in them.  That makes egg collection a mess.  Then you have to clean the eggs which removes the 'bloom' and reduces their shelf life.

When you try to pick her up, she makes agitated noises and fluffs up her feathers.  Lots of animals do this to scare you off and intimidate you.  What to do with a broody hen?  We don't need any more chickens.  I have a number of hens and roosters in the chicken tractor that I'm about to merge in with the flock in the pasture.

Well, my neighbor had an answer for the broody hen.  He has a number of fertilized guinea fowl eggs.  They are lavender guineas.  The eggs should be fertilized.  We'll see if ol' broody girl is going to set on them, hatch them, and raise them as her own.  The day before yesterday, I put all the guinea eggs underneath her while she was setting.  She let me!  Today she got up, but got right back on them once she ate.  Here's all of the guinea eggs:

They are about 3/4 the size of a chicken egg.  I should have counted them, but I didn't.

Guinea eggs have a harder shell than a chicken egg.  When I was growing up, we'd use boiled guinea eggs for pocking.  Pocking eggs is a Cajun French tradition.  On Easter Sunday you "pock" your eggs together to see who has the hardest egg.  My great grandma would always bring them.  I always wondered what "pocking" meant.  Pâques is the French word for Easter.  Maybe that's why?  Pocking is the sound made when hitting two eggs together.  Maybe that's why?  

We will see in a little less than 3 weeks if our broody hen is successful in hatching out some lavender guineas.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...