Wednesday, July 5, 2023

How Do You Like Your Eggs?

This is almost a sacrilege, I know, but I don't like my eggs "sunny side up."  I don't like my eggs "over easy."  I don't like a runny yolk.  Tricia describes the way I like my eggs is "toasted."  In other words, cooked through.  I like them with peppers and onions in them, spiced up, with cilantro and green onions on top.  I have a good wife that goes through the extra time and steps to prepare for me eggs to my liking.

We eat a LOT of eggs.  Scrambled, Fried, Boiled, and Pickled.  We have lots of hens and pick up multitudes of eggs each day.  We've experimented with several methods of preserving eggs.  One of the ones we showed you was Waterglassing eggs.  We were looking for another method and that's what we'll talk about tonight.

We have been really using the food dehydrator that a friend gave us many years ago.  We have dehydrated more things this year than you could shake a stick at.  So we got to thinking.  Why not eggs?  I've got to admit, powdered eggs do not seem appetizing to me.  I think of school cafeterias.  But with the girls laying "to beat the band," we have to think of new and different methods (to us) of food preservation.  Let's give it a whirl.

To dry eggs in our dehydrator, we'll use our new silicone trays.  We cracked a number of eggs and scrambled with a whisk and then poured on the trays in the dehydrator.  We put the setting on 135 degrees for 6-8 hours.  In just a little bit, they looked like this!:  (Note the dark yellow color of the pastured hens' yolks.)

At the eight hour mark, they looked like this:

We turned off the dehydrator, crumbled the eggs up and poured into an air tight jar.

We will eventually blend into a powder.  Basically, to re-hydrate them, you add one tablespoon dried egg powder to 1 tablespoon hot water and that equals 1 egg.  Simply scramble them to the consistency you like your eggs.  Disclaimer:  We just did this, and have plenty of fresh eggs, so I haven't tasted them yet.  I'm anxious to do so and give a taste test review of powdered eggs.  We'll keep ya posted.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...