Monday, April 18, 2022

Walkin' After Midnight

I didn't really go Walkin' After Midnight.  That's an old Patsy Cline song that I like, but something that happened made me think of that song.  It is quite a story and I'll tell you about it in tonight's post.  I try to have my head on the pillow between 10 and 10:30 pm.  I've got no problems sleeping, even if I drink coffee in the evening.  Since I made a job change, I've tried very hard to make some positive changes.  I'm 55 and as I age, I notice by metabolism slowing and find that things that in the past I would find easy - are now hard.  

One thing I've changed is I try to get between 7 and 8 hours of sleep each night.  I try also to eat better and make better food choices with smaller portion sizes and limit snacking between meals.  I mess up a lot, especially on holidays and family gatherings (and when special desserts are in the house!)  Another thing I try to do is walk every day.  I installed a step counter on my phone and my official goal is to walk 7,500 steps a day.  Unofficially, I aim for 10,000 steps since that is 4 miles.

Sometimes I hit the goal easily.  Other times, I find myself at the end of the day with only 2,500 steps.  That means I have to get going.  Right now, it's nice in the late afternoon.  It is still cool, low humidity, and no mosquitoes.  Soon that will change, but at least for the present, it is a nice time to walk.  I generally walk laps around the yard.  Most days, Tricia joins me and we talk while walking.  One lap is about 400 steps.  I can check out the animals, the garden, the trees, wave to neighbors, and see a pretty sunset while walking.

Daylight turns to dark quickly, though, and sometimes I'm out walking like last night when the sun goes down.  Tricia isn't keen on walking at night, so she goes in and turns on the floodlights for me so I can see without running into a tree or walking off into a ditch.

Last night's walk involved some excitement.  We had just returned from a family gathering.  It was nearing 10 o'clock and I was walking for a short while and about to call it quits.  I was about to the western furthermost part of the yard and about to turn back south when something caught my eye.

It darted out from the ditch and stopped right in front of me and lifted it's fluffy tail.  It was small, black with a white stripe.  A skunk.  Bête puante in Cajun French.  There was nothing I could do.  He sprayed, and I ran the other way.  It was not a direct hit, fortunately, but the wind was blowing and the smelly mist did get me.  I headed back to the house, opened the back door and Benjamin said, "Ugghh!  What's that smell?"  I told him and Tricia what happened and Tricia had me take my clothes off outside and head for the bathtub.  She told me that I may have to sleep in another room!  

I emerged from the bathtub smelling better.  My clothes, however, may have to be thrown away!  What an adventure.  This afternoon when we walked, Tricia made it very clear that she was going inside BEFORE it got dark.  I though that was a good idea and followed her indoors.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...