Thursday, April 28, 2022

Spring Garden in Late April (Part III)

Okay, I promise this is the last update on the garden in entirety.  I had forgotten to add a couple items.  First, let's look at some things I missed.  To the right, you'll see some birdhouse gourd vines that came up volunteer from last year's seeds.  Immediately to the left are a couple of butternut squash.  We LOVE to roast these bad boys and make a delicious soup.  So good!  To the far left (and all these vines mix together), are several spaghetti squash.  They'll vine all over the compost pile.  It will be a real hunt to find the ripened squash as those big leaves and vines will be all over the place.

I planted more melons at the north end of the potato patch.  Below, I have more butternut squash, some Hale's Best Cantaloupes, some Mini Cantaloupes, some Tahitian Melon Squash and Charleston Grey Watermelons.  These, if we're fortunate, will vine out into the yard.  (Less grass to mow.)

Here is the potato patch.  It is about 40 feet of Lasoda potatoes planted three across.  I planted about 8 pounds of potatoes.  They were looking beautiful a couple weeks ago, but they have an unhealthy yellowish color right now.  I'll get back to the potatoes in the minute.

Right in the middle of the potato patch, there is another (non-edible) crop that comes up year after year as they seed themselves.  I just let them grow.  They are zinnias.  They are multicolors.   Some pink:

Some orange, yellow and white.  I leave them growing as they add some beauty to the landscape of the garden.  You'll notice the potato patch is mulched deeply with oak leaves.  I'll turn these under to enrich the soil after the potato harvest.


Back to the potatoes.  This year I planted potatoes several weeks earlier than I normally do.  So I found the reason why the potato plants look like they are dying.  It is because the potatoes are almost ripe and the plants are about done!  I pulled back the mulch and exposed a mature red potato.  We'll be harvesting these in a couple of weeks.  Looking forward to it!


And one last thing.  I have one more late thing I'll be planting in the garden.  These are some tomatillos I planted very late.  It is my first time planting these so we'll see how it goes.  I like trying new things.  Some things we try we find we experience success.  Others, quite often, we fall on our face.  But that's okay.  We learn and we try again.

May your thumbs be green!





No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...