Wednesday, April 13, 2022

From the Texas Line Back to Our Maker's Acres Family Farm on a Spring Day

I had a work assignment that led me out west to Starks, Louisiana.  Starks is pretty doggone close to Texas.  My wife was with me and I asked her how far the Sabine River was from our location.  She pulled up her map and said, "A half mile that way."  So we turned around and headed that way.  In no time at all we were on the bank of the Sabine River.  The sun was shining.  It was cool.  The current in the river was brisk.  Right on the other side is the State of Texas.

We made it back home, finished up with work and decided I would soak up a spring day just relishing the beauty of God's creation.  These were come oxalis that were blooming by the fence to the east of the pasture.  This is a bad weed in the garden, but it is beautiful if not growing in the garden.  I pulled these and fed them to the goats.  They were begging me for them.

Speaking of the goats, many years ago I planted some yellow iris along the border of the eastern fence.  My thought was that it would be a privacy fence.  Not so much for us but for the neighbors, so they wouldn't have to look at all the activity in the pasture all day.  Well, the goats had other plans, and I should have known better.  As soon as the iris came up, the goats devoured them.  The iris migrated to the east and now they form a border fence on the neighbor's property.  They are blooming now and are very pretty to look at.

Here is our Japanese Magnolia.  We call it Laura Lee's tree (our daughter).  It puts out blooms THEN puts on flowers.  I learned a valuable lesson from this tree.  We planted it in the side yard and planted it close to the sewer line.  Well, the roots clogged the drain line!

The previous photo highlighted the flower.  This one shows the entire tree.

Right next to the Japanese Magnolia is the Redbud tree.  Similarly, it puts on blooms BEFORE the big, heart-shaped leaves come out.

Here is a close up of the flowers.

Here is an African yellow iris.  Tricia planted this a couple years ago between the palm trees and has been waiting for it to bloom.  Well, it finally did!

Here is the red lily

And finally, the amaryllis.


Spring time is a beautiful time of year!  



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...