Tuesday, January 5, 2021

What's For Supper?

What's for Supper?  I often ask that question when coming through the back door on my way in from work.  I found out this past weekend that termites have been answering that question with their answer, "Your BARN!"

Cooler weather with no humidity motivated me to go out to the barn and begin tidying up.  We stack up things we think we'll use and end up not using it.  Hay in the barn is ubiquitous, and piles up in every nook and cranny. Poop piles up too, despite our best efforts to scoop it out and compost it.  

I decided to start in the southwest corner of the barn.  I began pulling out milk crates, dumping out hay and goat poop.  Got one done and then another.  The last crate was tough to pull up.  It was as if it was buried in the dirt.  Finally I got it loosened.  Odd.  There were a bunch of white things on the ground.
 

A colony of termites!  It was like a giant ant mound (pile).  They were moving, frantically trying to get away.  I ran as fast as I could back to the garage and mixed up a garden sprayer full of termiticide.

When I got back I liberally soaked the area with the pesticide, taking great joy in killing every last one of those stinking insects.  I kicked around at the colony to expose every single one that appeared to be still alive.  I hope I got them all.

As I began to look more closely, I could see evidence of their activity.  Look at the dirt tunnels below.  This is at the top of the wall - eight feet up!

This is termite damage on the 2 x 4 bracing shown below.  Not a good sign.  As I tested more, I found at least some encouraging news.  First, I think I got them all this time.  I added 10 "stake baits" into the perimeter that kills them.  Secondly, structural damage appears to be primarily on peripheral supports and not on the main posts supporting the weight of the barn.  This is supported (pardon the pun) by the fact that the barn stood strong against two powerful hurricanes.  Finally, an exterminator told us that if these were Formosan termites, our barn would be on the ground by now as they eat a pound of wood each day.  Although bad, these termites aren't as quick in their destruction.   

We like our barn.  We will continue to monitor the situation and take necessary action if additional steps are needed.  To end on a positive note, I captured a good photo of a hen and a rooster that hopped up on the window of the barn to witness by termite killing.  

Good Evening to you and God Bless You!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...