Wednesday, November 22, 2017

Checking in on the Fall Garden

Gardening can be a risky enterprise sometimes.  In our side yard, something has been clipping my sugar snap peas and they haven't been able to grow very much.  As soon as they get any new growth, something nibbles it down to the ground.  Rabbits?  Rats?  I figured I would set one of my cage traps that I've had success eradicating all the possums in the neighborhood to catch the culprit.


Yeah...  No.  Cage traps are indiscriminate.  This cat is NOT the culprit, but boy was he mad.  I think it is the neighbor's cat.  With much hissing and discontent by the trapped feline, I was fortunately able to let him out of the trap without him scratching me to ribbons.  I hope my neighbor doesn't notice the cat's scratched up head that he got trying to escape from the cage.  Anyway, we have sugar snap peas trying to grow.

Here is my spinach.  It is young, but I have a 30 foot row of it and it appears to have all germinated.  Spinach is one of those things that is fantastic eaten fresh.  It doesn't even compare to the canned Popeye spinach.


I have two rows of carrots popping up.  There are three varieties planted: Danvers Orange, Cosmic Purple, and Atomic Red.  Our carrots always flat-out produce.  We still have bags of blanched carrots in the freezer from last year's crop.


Several varieties of lettuce are planted.  Here is a red romaine.


Here is a black seeded Simpson:


I like the fall garden because you can pretty much count on less bug pressure.  That isn't always the case.  Worms are eating my chioggia beets, bull's blood beets, and swiss chard like nobody's business!


Not to worry, though.  After we get a cool snap, the beets will put on new leaves and they'll be okay.  We need cool weather.  The bok choy is bolting.  They are wanting to flower and go to seed.  We find this makes the leaves bitter.  Cool weather would slow this down.  It appears to be cooling now, so maybe that will save the bok choy crop.  Otherwise, we'll feed all this to the milk cows.


Finally, we have some red Russian kale.  We only planted a third of a row this year as it is always so prolific.  We find that even though we eat it several times a week, we cannot possibly eat it all.  We give some away and we end up feeding a bunch to the cows.


Next week, perhaps we'll take a look at the tomatoes, okra, radishes, and cole crops. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...