Tuesday, November 21, 2017

Back in The Saddle After a Brief Hiatus

On Sunday and Monday I was in Lafayette, Louisiana at the Cajundome with our Youth Group from church along with 6,000 other students from across Louisiana.  It is an event that we always attend called YEC (Youth Evangelism Conference).  The Garden Baptist Church once again allowed us to spend the night at their church to save money on lodging and we appreciate them!


A gentleman by the name of Clayton King was the primary speaker and he kept the attendees on the edge of their seats with captivating preaching.  The theme of his talks was about deception.  He discussed the lies that we all believe.  He went on to say that, "the lies that you believe are leading you somewhere."

He listed 9 lies that the enemy uses to keep us distracted and away from God:
1. God is mad at me,
2. I can't forgive or be forgiven,
3. Money will solve all of my problems,
4. I'll always be alone and unloved,
5. Sex is no big deal,
6. Good people don't suffer,
7. I can't resist temptation,
8. I can't change,
9. I'll never be happy

As I thought about the list, I think I've believed every single one of them at one point or another.  He told the students that they can overcome and the way we overcome is from 1 John 1:9
"If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us of our sins and cleanse us from all unrighteousness."
Although this blog is normally about some form of agriculture, this post is not.  Or is it?  There was definitely a harvest at YEC!  There were invitations for the youth to come forward after each of four sessions and numerous students responded to the call.  Here are some of the statistics from the conference:

Totals for YEC 2017
Students saved - 325
Rededication - 463
Call to Ministry - 212
Other decisions - 81
TOTAL DECISIONS—1081


I was a counselor during the conference and was able to pray with 4 young men.  Two were wishing to commit their lives to ministry and two were inspired and convicted by the preaching and wished to re-dedicate their lives to Christ.  What a blessing!

At the end of YEC, a Christian group named Building 429 put on a concert.  The kids really enjoyed it.  A high point of the night was when Building 429 played one of their biggest hits called, "Where I Belong."  6,000 kids, while shining the flashlights on their phones, sang the following to the top of their lungs:
All I know is I'm not home yet,
This is not where I belong.
Take this world and give me Jesus,
This is not where I belong.
Seeing the next generation excited about their faith in Christ gives me new found hope for the future!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...