Sunday, June 11, 2017

Demo Of the Chicken Tractor

So now that we have a new chicken tractor built, the old chicken tractors out on the pasture need to be demolished.  It wasn't tops on the priority list, but needed to be done. The old chicken tractors are falling apart and are definitely eyesores.  If we lived in an area with a Homeowner's Association, we'd be fined or kicked out of the neighborhood for sure.  For this and other reasons.

I brought a hammer, a crowbar, and a drill and began taking one of the two apart.  I saved the nails and screws as I didn't want the cows or goats stepping on them or ingesting them. I don't want to experience hardware disease.  I stacked the tin on top of the other old chicken tractor that will be torn down later.  We can re-use the tin.  As far as the lumber is concerned, some of it is rotten, while some can still be used.  The rotten wood goes on the burn pile, but the good lumber goes in a stack to be reused.


The remaining chicken tractor will likely come down this week, weather permitting. I want to show you something up close, if you can see the photo below clearly. Right in the center is a big hole in the chicken wire.


You know what caused that?  Goats!  Mischievous goats are always getting into trouble. They always try to get where they are not allowed.  Seeing this, it accentuates the need to make sure that before I roll the new chicken tractor in the pasture, I have it protected.  I don't want the goats to break through the wire on the new chicken tractor trying to get to the chicken feed or trying to get in out of the rain.

With some roofing nails, some hardware cloth, and the salvageable lumber from the first chicken tractor we tore down, I was able to build a nifty drying apparatus for our onions. Things just keep being re-used around here until it can't be used for anything else.


Once the onions have cured, I'll take the onion drying rack apart and roll up the hardware cloth and we'll use it again later on.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...