Monday, May 29, 2017

The Old Broody Hen

We have right at 100 hens that roam Our Maker's Acres Farm.  They scratch for bugs and worms, and they scratch through the cow patties in the pasture, distributing fertilizer across the pasture better than a fertilizer spreader.  As they roam, they too, drop fertilizer, contributing to a wonderful cycle that keeps the grass growing for the cows and goats.

I like our chickens.  I like to watch them chase down roaches when I'm splitting wood.  They are so focused on their meal that I often have to stop my ax in mid-swing so as not to decapitate a hen intent on her mid-day roach snack.  They are not very watchful.  Ever so often we have hens that get caught underfoot of one of our Jersey cows.  Due to this run-in, they will limp for many days and weeks after learning an expensive lesson on not tangling up with something bigger than you. Others die due to these injuries.  I can't tell you how many chickens I have buried in the garden.

Our hens also lay beautiful eggs for us each morning.  They'll rush to one of many nesting boxes an plop down in the hay and lay an egg.  Then, in a remarkable show of pride, they'll sing a little song letting all the other hens know that they've laid an egg.  One of these days I'll tape the "Happy Egg Song" for you and play it for you so that you can see what I mean.  Most of the time after they sing this song, they'll jump up out of the nesting box and head out to the pasture and clock-in for a full day's work of doing what I explained in the first paragraph.

But there are certain times when they don't get up.  They become 'broody,' meaning that they go through some hormonal changes that make them want to set on her eggs and hatch out some babies. Broody hens are easy to spot because they become very territorial.  If you come near to her nesting box, she'll fluff out her feathers so that she looks twice as large.  Then she'll make a very angry sound that is meant to frighten you away.


Although there are times when we let a broody hen set, right now we have enough hens.  I don't want her to hatch out any chicks.  So each day we ignore the broody hen's bad temper and reach underneath her and remove the eggs she is sitting on. One must be brave to do this, because you will get your hand pecked by a truly angry bird!


She means business!  In the end though, the smallest creature loses the battle of the will and I exit the hen house with a basket full of eggs.


One of these days, I'll want some more additional baby chicks and I hope at that time this old broody hen or another one like her will oblige to setting on some fertilized eggs.  These protective mommas do their duty well.  I have a friend from church who has some broody hens right now and he asked me to bring him some fertilized eggs.  I brought him two dozen so far and his broody hens have hatched out a bunch of baby chicks for him.  There is absolutely no need for an incubator if you have a broody hen.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...