Monday, May 8, 2017

Digging Potatoes On a Perfect Day

This weekend the weather was absolutely perfect.  It was a nice time to get outdoors and get some things done that needed doing.  You know how that goes, right? Growing vegetables can be hit or miss.  Some years things grow great.  On other years, you can do everything the same and experience crop failure.  Sometimes it is pest pressure, Sometimes it is the weather.  Sometimes you don't have a clue!

After going through a week in which we saw AT LEAST 10 inches of rain, I was concerned about our potato crop.  I say "at least" 10 inches because my rain gauge topped out at 5 both days and I know rain splashed out of the top of the gauge. Potatoes don't take too kindly to sitting in the mud. They begin to rot and when you dig them up and try to grab them, they disintegrate in your hands, leaving a stinky goo behind.  Rotten potatoes don't smell too good.

I told Benjamin we had to get those potatoes out of the ground before they all rot, so we got my digging fork and teamed up to get the job done.  I would insert the fork into the ground about 5 inches away from the plant and pry upwards while Benjamin tugged gently on the potato plant.


If you work it just so, you can get to where you pull the entire plant and all the clinging potatoes out of the ground.  There will be potatoes of all sizes.  We eat them all.


Russ was at a Nascar race in Talladega so Benjamin and I attacked the potato rows with a vengeance, digging, grabbing, tossing the spuds into our garden wagon.  We, unfortunately, noticed quite a few potatoes that were either rotten or were soft or had white spots all over them - all results of too much rainfall.  I threw quite a few to the chickens.  Rotten, stinky potatoes don't seem to bother the chickens at all. They aren't picky and will eat them up and come running back for more.  When all was said and done, we had a nice haul of potatoes.

Benjamin posed by the garden wagon with the 2017 potato harvest.  I remember when I was young, we went on a family vacation to the Smithsonian in Washington, D.C.  There was an exhibit about spy satellites that zoomed in in several photos from a view of the earth from space, to what appeared to be a city, to a man sitting on a park bench, to the headlines on the newspaper he was reading.  That seemed very intrusive to me.  Big brother watching, you know.

I thought I'd have a little fun with the next photographs and spy on our 2017 potato crop..
Benjamin and the Potato Crop
Zooming in, you can see that they are all red potatoes, Pontiac variety to be exact.


Zooming in closer to see the "headlines," you can determine that they are dirty and there are potatoes that are all different sizes.


I wheeled the wagon into the garage and removed the potatoes by bucket and weighed them on our kitchen scale. This is my summary from the harvest from LAST YEAR:
I weighed the full potato harvest, minus a few that we ate fresh out of the ground cooked with some green beans, and our Spring Potato crop yield totaled 144pounds.  We planted 10 pounds of red potatoes and 5 pounds of Yukon gold potatoes.  So a total of 15 pounds of seed potatoes yielded about 150 pounds of potatoes.  Looking at it another way, each pound of seed potatoes, on average, produces 10 pounds of potatoes to eat.  As I mentioned earlier, we planted 168 "pieces" of seed potatoes that yielded 144 pounds of potatoes to eat, so that tells us that that each 'seed' or piece of potato planted will yield, on average 0.85 pounds of potatoes to eat.  


This year, once again, we planted 15 pounds of seed potatoes.  The only change being last year we planted the LaSoda and Yukon Gold varieties, whereas this year we planted 15 pounds of Pontiac seed potatoes.  You can see that last year we harvested 144 pounds.  This year, unbelievably, we harvested 143 pounds!!  I probably threw about a pound of rotten potatoes over the fence to the chickens, so our yield was right smack dab on the money compared to last year.  Pretty cool how that worked out.

I bagged up our onion crop that was curing and hung them from the ceiling in the garage to continue drying.  I did this to make room.  I placed all 143 pounds of potatoes on top of the frames I constructed with 2x4s and hardware cloth.  Many of the potatoes were marginal in terms of being on the verge of being soft and beginning to rot,  and I wanted to see if I could quickly dry them and save them. We learned NOT to wash potatoes during storage and you will lengthen the time that you can store the potatoes.

Some of these potatoes may inevitably go bad, but one thing's for certain.  If they begin to go bad, we'll smell them!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...