Wednesday, October 19, 2016

Sowing Seeds for the Fall Garden 2016

With the garden all worked up on Saturday, it was time to get seeds in the ground. I feel like I'm a month behind already, so I was impatient to start planting.  As discussed yesterday, I decided to go ahead and work up the entire garden and then begin planting the seeds in the Cole Crop family first since their cut-off date for fall planting for seeds in our area was October 15th.

Here's a picture of four rows ready for planting.


After working up a few rows, I was a little winded, so I went inside and got out my LSU Vegetable Guide.  You can find it online HERE.  It is really helpful and contains information for each crop that includes planting dates for Spring and Fall, planting depth, space between plants and Days Until Harvest.


Once I had the full garden worked, I climbed up on a ladder and took a picture.  I guess that's how people took pictures from this vantage point before drones!


Now I used both saved seed as well as purchased seed.  Here is some saved bok choy seed.


And here are two varieties of beet seeds - Bull's Blood Beets and Chioggia.


Beet seeds are different than any other seeds:


I planted two varieties of Swiss Chard - Rainbow and Fordhook Giant


In addition to those mentioned above, I also planted cabbage, broccoli, cauliflower, brussels sprouts, sugar snap peas, spinach, cilantro, three varieties of carrots, 5 varieties of lettuce, parsley, celery, and radishes.  In a couple of weeks, I intend on planting some turnips and mustard greens.

We're expecting a cool snap along with some much needed rain tomorrow.  Grow seeds Grow!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...