Tuesday, October 25, 2016

Coveralls!

I love our little country church.  While our congregation is small, their hearts are huge.  People hang around when services are over and after shaking the preacher's hand, they just enjoy talking with one another, joking, laughing, praying with one another, and engaging in conversation.

On any given Sunday, there are people bringing little gifts to each other.  Lots of times people bring fresh eggs to share or when you open the church door, there will be trunks open and people sharing fresh homegrown produce like cabbage, okra, squash, cucumbers, watermelons or cantaloupe or fresh shelled peas.

But it is not limited to edible stuff.  Many times people will bring clothes to share. A dear lady from LeBlanc had a surprise for me last Sunday after church.  She asked me if I wore coveralls.  I told her that I don't have any, but would gladly wear them. Then she blessed me with this:

Coveralls!!
I have to tell you that I've never owned a pair of coveralls.  These have six pockets in them: two breast pockets, two front pockets and two back pockets.  Thinking back, I can distinctly remember both of my grandfathers wearing coveralls.  I remember theirs had a little emblem of some sort on the chest and some of theirs had a belt of some sort with a metal clasp.  They always looked comfortable, but I never seriously considered wearing them.  I don't know why.

Speaking of comfort, flipping them over on the back, you can see that there is an elastic belt built in to them.  When I lived in Houston, we would always eat sensibly for lunch on Monday through Thursday, but on Friday, we would splurge and go eat a huge lunch.  My buddy always wore Sansabelt slacks on Fridays.  They had an elastic built-in belt.  My friend called them his "eating pants" because they would expand as his girth grew from eating the big meal on Friday.  That still makes me laugh.  Although I won't be eating in these coveralls, I'll be working in the garden and doggonit are they ever comfortable!


Not only was I blessed with a maroon pair, but a blue and grey pair, too.  They are big enough so that I can wear clothes underneath them and that works perfectly for times that I go out to milk cows and don't want to change into my "farm clothes." Now I can just slip the coveralls on over my clothes and not worry about getting them dirty.

I had to laugh when I looked closer at the photo below.  In the upper right hand corner, you can distinctly see the stock of a Marlin .22 rifle and a package of .22 LR bullets.  It reminds me of something Jeff Foxworthy might say: You might be a redneck if directions to your house include, "turn off the paved road."  Or you might be a redneck if you take pictures of coveralls and have random firearms and bullets stockpiled in the corner of your bedroom.

Three pairs of coveralls
These coveralls just remind me of my grandfathers and make me smile.  I looked at the label and they are made by the Sweet Company and I see that they've been in business since 1922.


So I'm thankful to be the owner of the coveralls.  I don't really see many people wearing these anymore.  I'm not sure if they are considered stylish, but I'll wear them often.  They are functional, comfortable and as an added bonus, they bring back some good memories of my Grandpa and Poppy (my other grandpa).

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...