Sunday, August 21, 2016

Can a Chicken Get Hypothermia?

Saturday morning before milking, I went about the normal chores, feeding all the other animals, switching the cows from one paddock to a fresh one.  Then I went about checking water troughs, ensuring that they were all filled with water.  We have one main 150 gallon water trough and have two 'makeshift' 30 gallon water troughs made with old molasses/mineral tubs.

As I walk by one, I noticed that it was about 3/4 full, but then stopped suddenly. There was a chicken floating in it!  At first I thought she was dead, but once I removed her from the water, I could tell that she was still barely alive, although her eyes weren't opened.  She was shaking and barely able to stand.  I sat her in the sunshine while we milked the cows, hoping to warm her up.  Chickens aren't too smart.  They fly up ungracefully to the edge of the water trough to get a drink, lean over to drink and some inevitably fall in and die if you don't get to them quickly enough.

I'm no veterinarian, but I would assume that the barred rock hen was suffering from hypothermia. Hypothermia is the condition of having an abnormally low body temperature, typically one that is dangerously low.  This can happen even in warm weather.  Trouble is, about twenty minutes later, once we finished milking, she was not any better.  I knew we must get her some medical attention to save her life.  Fortunately, the doctor was in.  I put the pitiful creature into an empty molasses tub and brought her into the garage.

"Give me your huddled masses..."
I positioned a heat lamp approximately 18 inches above the hen.  I didn't want it to be too close to her as it would burn her and warm her up too fast.  I didn't want it to be too far away though or it wouldn't warm her up.  Up to this point, I wasn't sure if Sally HennyPenny was going to make it.  I had another project going in the garage as we were painting the walls, so I kept a close eye on her.  In about 10 minutes, I checked in and the old gal was looking a little more perky than before.  Still a little wet, but I knew she'd make it.

Heatin' up some chicken
In ten more minutes, she wasn't hunched over shivering anymore and her eyes were wide open.


In about ten more minutes, I heard a big commotion and the hen flew up out of the tub with the heat lamp and was scurrying around the garage.  I caught the old girl and walked her back outside toward the pasture fence.  I set her down on the bridge to make sure she was good to go and yes, she was.


Her buddies were in the muddy waiting room across the fence waiting for her and they were happy she had recovered from her close call.
Birds of a feather flock together
Hopefully, old gal will have learned a lesson and won't fall in the water trough again. We've just had 21 inches of rain in a week's time.  There's plenty of water still on the ground.  She doesn't need to even go to the water trough to drink.  I can't figure out her thinking there, but... she's a chicken. Fortunately the lifeguard got to her in time and performed emergency medical services promptly so that she'll live to see another day and lay more eggs.

2 comments:

  1. I don't understand why you don't make their environ ment secured. Life is precious, I'm happy you saved her, but I feel like if you didn't you won't be upset or sad. If it was my chicken, I won't go to milk, I would save her first, and milk afterwards.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good question, Anonymous. Let me do my best to explain. Our hens, as much as we like them, aren't pets. They are livestock. We have 90 of them. They, unfortunately, fall prey to any number of predators - hawks, owls, possums, mink, etc. We do our best to protect them, but sadly, we can't protect them from every danger. They constantly get under the cows' feet and get stepped on. This sometimes cripples them. I can't think of a way to keep them from falling in the water trough. There are numerous hazards out in the barnyard, just as there are numerous hazards for humans driving to work everyday. We do our best to protect our animals and ourselves and leave the rest in God's hands.

    Regarding why we didn't doctor on the hen prior to milking, I knew from previous experience that she would be okay for 20 minutes while we milked and I'd be able to save her with the heat lamp. You are right, if I would have lost her I would have been sad and regretted the 20 minute delay.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...