Wednesday, August 10, 2016

The Sophomore

It's a crazy thing how one day you wake up and realize how fast things change.  On Monday of last week our oldest, Laura Lee, who graduated from LSU in the spring, started work at a "real job" - teaching 3rd grade at a school in Baton Rouge.  Next week Russ will begin his senior year at LSU.

Benjamin is the only little bird that hasn't flown from the nest.  He started his sophomore year at Hathaway High School today - his sophomore year!  He has his learner's permit, so he's driving too. Tonight I was reminiscing, looking back at some old photos of the little turkey and remembering when he was a lot younger.

Benjamin was just a little guy in the following two photos when he and I were on a Dad & Cub Campout and Camp Edgewood Boy Scout Camp in Gillis, Louisiana.  I remember it was very foggy that morning.  We didn't catch any fish, but we caught our limit of good memories.


This is probably my favorite photo of him with the reflection of the bridge and the trees in the lake.


Back then he was a short fellow who had to look up at me.  Tonight as I write this, he and I look eye to eye, in fact I think he may be taller than me.  As the sophomore got ready to go to bed tonight he came to me and gave me a fist bump and said, "I love you, Dad," proving that even though the sophomore is all grown up, he still loves his old man.  And that makes me happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...