Wednesday, April 1, 2015

Fire Ants in the Raised Beds

We have a raised bed in the backyard in which we plant watermelons, cantaloupes, butternut squash, and spaghetti squash.  It is raised, hence, the level of the soil is higher than the surrounding area which is good, but in times of rain like we just experienced, fire ants look for higher locales on which to relocate.  Doggonit if they didn't discover our raised beds!

When we got ready to plant in the bed this weekend, there was a big, thriving ant mound.  Oh, how I hate fire ants.  They bite/sting.  They also build huge mounds in the pasture and make it very difficult to push the chicken tractors.  Earlier this week we posted about undertaker bees - those bees charged with removing the dead bees from the colony.  If you'll notice in the photo below, you'll see that there are numerous little brown things on top of the ant mound.  Those are fire ants that are deader than a doornail.  Ant colonies, like bee colonies, must have undertaker ants to dispose of the deceased.,

Dead Ants
I like to see dead fire ants.  But let's rewind.  How did we kill the ants?  We don't like using pesticides in our food plots.  Well, we cooked 'em!  Russ and I boiled water and poured the boiling water over the mound.

Cooking their goose!
The boiling water was slowly poured over the ant pile and the bubbling liquid flowed down into the tunnels and all throughout the chambers, making a nice ant "broth".

Fire in the hole!
This method is very effective for killing ants.  However, you have to do it three or four times to kill the whole colony.  As long as you see the dead ants on top, there are still live "undertaker ants" around to move them out of the colony.  So we applied the first pot of boiling water in the morning and the second in the afternoon, killing numerous ants.


By the third application, the few remaining live ants had gotten the message that constructing their home in our raised bed was a fatal mistake.  Below you see that there is no more movement in the colony.  The white dots you see on top of the ground are ant eggs, COOKED ant eggs, that is.
Eggs over easy
While this is an optimal remedy for a few ant hills on your property, it is just not practical for killing the numerous ant colonies all over the pasture.  I wish it was. We'll use it for ant hills that pop up around our house and in garden areas to try to keep them at bay.

We went ahead and planted the melons and squash and I'll inspect the vacated remains of the ant colony for signs of life and reapply boiling water as needed. Dead ants.  Ant-free zone in which to plant our crops.  No pesticides.  Now we're cookin'!

4 comments:

  1. Hi, I just came across your blog when I was searching to see how to keep fire ants out of a tractor chicken coop.

    I don't have chickens yet, but I have plenty of fire ants. Some people have had success using coffee grounds on the mounds, and this year we had quite a few in the vegetable garden, so I picked up a big garbage bag of grounds from Starbucks and sprinkled it heavily on the mounds. Next day they were gone, and haven't been back. But I haven't been into the garden since all the rain we've had. No mounds that I can see though.

    I imagine the ants just moved, but that beats having them in the garden, IMO.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey MartiDIY,

      Thanks for the comment about coffee grounds. I'm going to give that a try. I save the coffee grounds from work and compost them, but I'm going to try the next bucket of coffee grounds I get and experiment with them on fire ant mounds.

      Although I've never tried it, a friend of ours uses diatomaceous earth (DE) in the nesting boxes on their chicken tractor. After it rains the ants are always looking for a high place and will climb up into the chicken tractor. Our friends tell me the DE really works. I'm going to try that as well.

      I hope you have great success with your chickens!

      Delete
  2. We did boiling water but unfortunately it killed beneficial worms in our rich wonderful soil.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Darn! I wish there was a solution to fire ants that had no down side. Please let me know if you find it.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...