Friday, April 24, 2015

Feathers in the Pasture - Oh No!

Our pullets that are in the chicken tractor are getting very close to laying their first eggs.  When they lay their first eggs, I open the door to the chicken tractor and allow them to free-range.  At that point they are free to roam wherever they desire in the 3 acre pasture.  They'll return to the chicken tractor to roost at night and also will lay their eggs in the nesting boxes that are built into the tractor.

Until I release them, each day, twice a day, I walk out to the tractor with food and water for the birds and then push the tractor one length forward so that they have fresh grass to forage on and also a fresh 12' x 6' area to fertilize with their chicken litter.  I generally take a different route each day and I just observe things around me.  I'll pick up any trash that has blown onto the property, and I'll pull up any bitterweed by the roots.  (I don't want the cows eating that!)

As I was walking yesterday, from a distance I noticed something white on the ground.  I was thinking it was a piece of plastic that had blown in from the storm the other night that brought 60 mph straight line winds.  Only, when I got closer, it wasn't a piece of plastic, it was a single feather.

Birds of a feather
That's not unusual.  Sometimes the roosters can be very aggressive.  Even hens 'get into it' from time to time and feathers will fly.  Except as I walked further, I observed more feathers:


And then I saw the carcass.  This is not good.  The dead bird was an Aracauna hen. They are the birds that lay the beautiful blue and green eggs and this one was Benjamin's favorite - a hen that was smoky gray in color.  It was freshly killed and one half of the bird was eaten.

Aracauna carcass
We don't have a lot of problems with predators, but every once in a while we do lose a bird or two. This seems like it was an attack by an avian predator - maybe a hawk or an owl.  We definitely have those around.  In reading about the way this bird was killed, I'm leaning toward a hawk doing this damage as different publications said that an owl likes to carry off their prey.


So how to combat this?  First, it is a federal crime to kill any bird of prey, so that is out of the question.  Second, I wouldn't want to eliminate them from the area.  We have rats around the place - especially around the barn.  Hawks and owls, while they'll get one of our chickens from time to time, provide a check and balance against the increase in number of the rat population.  My best course of action is to try and deter them from feasting on our birds.

I looked around and found the following item for $11.44, shipping included, with lots of positive comments about its ability to ward off hawks AND owls.  I'll likely order this guy and give it a try:



A Fake Owl to Scare Away Avian Predators
The wise old owl is very lifelike and the comments state that the fake owl has been successful in chasing off birds if moved every few days.  Apparently, if you leave it in one location, birds soon "wise up" to the fact that the owl is fake and it loses its deterrence value.  While I'm thinking about it, this owl may do a job keeping birds out of our fruit trees and blueberry bushes!  I'll post an update once I install the owl.  Who...  Who... Well, the plastic owl, of course.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...