Sunday, January 4, 2015

The Best $0.99 I've Ever Spent in My Life

Do you ever have an itch that you can't scratch?  No matter how hard you try to reach it, it is physically impossible because it is right out of reach?

Cows have this problem all figured out.  At the farm in Oberlin there are some huge live oak trees that are easily over a hundred years old.  Their long limbs stretch out and then grow downward near the ground.  Cows that need a good scratching ease up to the limbs and rub and rub and rub until the itch has been scratched.  This is a frequent occurrence.  In fact, you can go to the very trees that I'm talking about and feel the bottom of these huge limbs and they are as smooth as glass from the friction of rubbing against cow hide.

I notice horses have an inventive way of scratching.  Horses are usually so proper and seem to have everything under control.  When they have an itch, however, all decorum and decency goes out the window.  They lay down, kick their legs into the air and roll on their backs, kicking up dust and scratching their backs.

I've tried two techniques to scratch my back.  The first is similar to what the cows do, except not on the limb of an oak tree, but on a door frame.  It is a little embarrassing, I guess, but not as embarrassing as rolling around on the ground like a horse.  The other technique I employ is to ask Tricia to scratch my back.  "A little to the left.  Lower, Lower, yeah right there."  Many times, though, I can tell that her heart just isn't into it and I ask her to stop.  For full disclosure, sometimes I'm not fired up about scratching her back either.

Sometimes the simplest things can bring happiness.  A few months ago we walked into the local Walgreens and noticed a rack of bamboo back scratchers for $0.99 cents each.  It was a no brainer. We purchased this item with all quickness.

The Back Scratcher
It's gotten lots of use since then.  It has some nice, curved fingers that allow you to finally reach that unreachable itch on your back without rubbing on a door frame or bugging your wife.


Of all entertainment and diversions, sometimes the simple pleasures in life are the best of all.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...