Thursday, January 15, 2015

Taking Inventory

Taking inventory is one of those things that I do once a year.  It's not a glamorous task nor one I look forward to, but one that must be done.  Usually a night like last night is the perfect time for it.  We've gone almost a week without seeing the sun.  It has been overcast, muddy, chilly and gloomy.  Any outside activity should be avoided at all costs.

Last night I chopped some lighter pine and put it in the fireplace, added some oak firewood atop it, and crumpled some old sales circulars underneath the grate and lit it.  In no time the resin in the lighter pine erupted in flame along with black smoke. That lets you know that it won't be long until the oak will be crackling.  It also lets you know that it is important to call the chimney-sweep after 'fireplace season.' Although lighter pine assures a quick start to your firewood without natural gas, it also assures you that your chimney will have a thick black coating of pitch that will need to be cleaned out.

Once the fire was providing some heat, I went out into the garage and opened the freezer and removed insulated envelopes of seed that I store in the ice maker that no longer works.  There will be people that will tell you that a freezer is a horrible place to store seed due to the moisture content. They're probably right.  I've stored seed in the freezer in sealed envelopes for years now and haven't noticed problems with germination, though.  To combat the possibility of loss, I do diversify my seed storage and store any seed that I save from crops that I grow in a drawer in a cabinet in the house.  I place the seed in old vitamin containers that are moisture proof and don't allow light in.

Even though I like to keep good records, I like EVEN MORE the act of planting!  So, I am negligent in adjusting my seed inventory downward based on the seed that I plant each Spring and Fall.  Maybe I'll start this year...  (There's a saying about a road to somewhere that's paved with good intentions that comes to mind!)

Segregating the Seed by type and age
Back in high school accounting class, we learned the concept of FIFO.  FIFO stands for First In, First Out.  That is a good methodology to use in managing your seed inventory as it assures that you'll use your oldest seed first and will keep your seed inventory rotated and fresh.

I lay out all my seed by seed type: Melons, Beans, Peppers, Corn, Greens, Lettuce, etc. Then I carefully write down each variety I have in each category and the number of packages of seed.  Yes, this can be done using Excel or a computer program, and I've done that in the past.

Taking Stock
Now, I will inventory my saved seed that I store inside as well, but once I have the entire seed inventory written down, I'll compare that with my planting records from previous years to determine which additional seed I need to order to meet the needs of the upcoming planting season.  I'll make that list of needs and then I'll pull out the seed catalog and place my order.

2015 Seed Inventory as of January 14, 2015
Looking through seed catalogs is an enjoyable experience and I'll generally order some new items to try that I don't have in current inventory.  While not as fun as the act of sowing seed, taking inventory is a necessary task of a prudent grower that enables you to ensure that you are prepared.  Come to think of it, taking inventory is a critical part of the entire human experience that helps us determine whether we are prepared in any number of ways - physically, mentally, and (most important of all) spiritually.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...