Wednesday, November 20, 2013

Birds of a feather...

Birds of a feather flock together - or so they say.  Our flock of birds has just increased in number thanks to a friend from Houston and they aren't all of the same feather.  We've got some real diversity on Our Maker's Acres Family Farm.  Let me explain.  I received a phone call the other day from my friend who asked if I could use any additional birds on the farm. To which I asked, "What's this all about?"  Well, the school that my friend's kids attend had an activity in which they studied embryos and they hatched out a bunch of birds - which is a fantastic learning experience, but what were they going to do with all the birds?  I don't think the Homeowner's Association and/or landlord in my friend's subdivision in Houston was amenable to raising a bunch of chickens right there in the city.  What a shame!

When no amount of pleading with my friend to launch an clandestine chicken ranch in the Houston Metro area, she and her son agreed to meet me halfway in Beaumont and make the trade - a bag of fresh produce for several boxes of birds.  I think I came out way better on that trade, especially when I smelled the damage that those birds did to the interior of her vehicle during their commute!  When the birds start laying, I'll have to offer her some fresh eggs.  We made the swap near an overpass at the Babe Zaharias Memorial in a deal that probably raised an eyebrow or two.

The birds and I then migrated eastward, over the Sabine River and back to Our Maker's Acres Family Farm where they were introduced to their new home in the chicken tractor - at least until they're old enough to roam free.  

Home Sweet Home
Let me introduce you to our new feathered friends.  First we have 25 quail.  I'm not sure the exact variety of quail that these are, but I'm anxious to watch them grow and learn about them. I searched on the Internet and they most resemble the Japanese Coturnix quail.  

You're not in Kansas Texas anymore, Dorothy!
Here is the little covey once I put them out on grass.  I wish you could see how happy they were, jumping and flying all over the chicken tractor and making little quail noises.  Hopefully I've got some females in here as I'm anxious for them to lay some eggs.  Growing up around these parts, every convenience store/gas station sells pint jars of pickled quail eggs with Cajun spices.  I'd like to try my hand at that.

A nice covey of quail
We've got a mixed bag here.  In addition to the quail, there are five 'fancy chickens'.  I don't know the exact name of the breed, but they have feathers on their feet.  These girls will be strutting around with their feathered feet making all the other hens on the farm jealous.

Fancy Feathered Fowl
So I put the fancy chickens in with the quail.

A little diversity
Next out of the box were 7 different chickens.  These are either Barred Rocks or Dominiques.  They are brown egg layers - if they are females, of course.  We're excited to have them!

Welcome home
And finally, just like a grab bag, I pulled 8 of these chicks out of the box.  I really don't know what kind these are - maybe Rhode Island Reds, I just don't know.  It will be exciting to watch them mature and identify them.  When you order day old chicks from the Murray McMurray Hatchery, if you order a minimum of 25, they always throw in an exotic chick and it is fun to watch it grow and see what variety you have. This will be the same type thing.

The Mystery Bird
Now all of the birds are out of the box and into their new home.  I think I saw a few of them smile.

A real melting pot
We'll be smiling when they start laying in 20 or so weeks!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...