Monday, April 1, 2013

Seeds, Soil, Sunlight & Water

From the day as a young boy that I ran outside and planted my fruit cocktail, I've been interested, no fascinated by watching things grow.  It is truly a miracle that I never tire of watching.  The results from my fruit cocktail planting experiment did not work out well at all, but I've had varying levels of success with some of my other agricultural pursuits, sparking a lifelong interest in growing plants and eating the fruits of my labors. 

Psalm 104:14-15

New American Standard Bible (NASB)
14 He causes the grass to grow for the cattle,
And vegetation for the labor of man,
So that he may bring forth food from the earth,
15 And wine which makes man’s heart glad,
So that he may make his face glisten with oil,
And food which sustains man’s heart.

In the midst of a cold snap the other day, I decided to go ahead and plant two different varieties of Yellow Crookneck Squash, one variety of Straightneck Squash and three varieties of zucchini Squash.  Instead of risking the frost, I planted them in some seed starting pots I saved over the years.  I wanted to take a picture each day for 10 days or so, marking the growth of some Yellow Crookneck squash plants and then plant the seedlings in the ground when more favorable weather allowed me to.  Here goes the time lapse:
 
March 17, 2013 Planted the seed

March 18th You can barely begin to see some growth

March 19th Popping up out of the soil

March 20th First signs of green

March 21st Up, Up and Away

March 23rd POW!  Squash jumping out of the soil!

March 24th Stretching out to the sun
 
March 27th First true leaves about to burst forth
  
April 1 In the ground - first true leaves
And there you have it, squash seeds turning into squash plants which will produce more squash with seeds and the cycle continues!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...