Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Finally finished planting the Spring Garden

At last I finally finished planting.  We've been slowed down with rains that have kept the soil a muddy mess.  Some of the things I planted like corn and squash is a little sick looking and need a few days of sunshine.  I put my order in for that.  We'll see what happens.  I may have to replant some of the Stowell's Evergreen Sweet corn.  The last two items that I'll put in the garden are a second variety of corn called Country Gentleman and two varieties of okra - Clemson Spineless and Burgundy.  Clemson Spineless is your normal green okra.  Burgundy okra produces a burgundy colored pod.  It turns green when you cook it though.

Country Gentleman corn is the second corn variety I planted.  It is an odd corn as the kernels don't grow in rows.  It is kind of unconventional and unorganized - a kindred spirit, I suppose.

So in between rains as the soil dried up somewhat, I pulled up several rows and planted the Country Gentleman corn.  I used a broom handle to poke holes that you can see below and just dropped in the seed corn and covered it up.
Planting corn
Then it was time for okra planting.  I've saved seed over the years and have found that okra seed last a long, long time.  I still save some each year, but try to use the FIFO method (first in, first out) of using my seed inventory.
My okra seed bank - paying dividends
Next, since I want to jump start my okra, I soak the seeds overnight in water to soften them and make them germinate more quickly.  You don't have to do this.  Okra is a very easy and forgiving crop.  Most times I just put them in the ground and they sprout fine.  One note, if you plant different varieties and do this, leave your labeled container nearby so you know which seed is which as both varieties of okra seed looks the same.
 
Soaking seed
24 hours later, it is time to plant.  I enlist my helper, Benjamin to drop the okra seeds in the furrow I've made with a broom handle.  It is good to get your kids involved in planting as they see the gratification of (literally) the fruits of their labors. 

Benjamin sowing okra seeds.
Here is a close-up of a swollen okra seed right in the dead center of the photo.  I'll cover it up and it will be sprouted in a few days.  Planting is done!  Other than the melons that I'm planting outside of the garden so they can stretch out and vine, I am finished planting.  Hooray!  In the past I've tried to put the melons in the garden, but the vines created a jungle, making it hard to walk amongst the rows.  The new idea is to plant the different melons in the yard.  It will allow them room to spread out and result in less mowing for me!!  There is a method to my madness after all. 

Okra seed about to be covered with soil.
Once we finished planting, the boys went and caught Annie, our baby Nubian goat, as she was jumping on a round bale of hay.  She is a cute little thing and very playful.  The boys like her.


Russ, Benjamin and Annie
Russs held her up in a pose.  Hmmm...  That is a familiar pose.  Where have I seen that before? 


Oh yeah!  The resemblance is uncanny, don't you think?  Just joking, Russ!




No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...