Sunday, April 28, 2013

Bridge Building

A few years ago we had some nasty hurricanes that moved through the area.  We've become kind of used to the drill where you secure everything that can fly off in high winds and then evacuate.  I remember using a chain and some ratchet straps to tie down our trampoline to a couple of trees as I didn't want it blowing into the neighbor's home and damaging their property.

Once the storm passed and we returned, the trampoline was still secured to the trees but it was a crumpled, mangled mess that wasn't good for anything except finding a big dumpster to throw the trampoline remains into - or so I thought.  As I started looking at it, I had an idea.  If I attached some pieces of treated 2 X 6's to pieces of the arched trampoline skeleton, it would make a nice arched bridge.  So that's what I did.  I made a bridge that goes over a small drainage ditch that leads into the pasture.  It is strong and will support me and a 900 pound cow.  It worked out so well, I went 'dumpster diving' and rescued pieces from someone else's damaged trampoline to use later. 

I've had those pieces stacked by the wood pile and today, we'll make that second bridge.  You can see the trampoline pieces below along with the 2 X 6's.  What I'll do is turn the bottom frame clockwise until the straight pipe forms a right angle with the arched piece at the top.  That may a little confusing, sorry.  All you want to do is position the pieces so that there is a straight pipe on either end and the shape is like a square.  This will be the frame of your bridge support.
Pieces of the bridge
I've purchased a box of 2 1/2 inch screws with bits in the end that will drill through metal, but first I'll lay out my boards on the bridge support and drill pilot holes.  You can see how I have moved the board so that it leaves a gap.  I want to be sure that the holes are centered on the arched trampoline frame.

Drilling pilot holes for the metal screws
Now I'll simply use my drill to screw the metal screws in flush with the 2 X 6's.  This is a very easy project - even for a novice carpenter like me. 
Screwing the boards down to secure them to the bridge frame

And that's it!  We're done.  Here is a side view of our new arched bridge leading into the garden.  You can see the old "bridge" that we used to walk to the garden in the foreground.  There were a couple of problems with the old bridge.  First, if it rained a lot, it would float down the ditch and we would have to run and retrieve it.  Then, it was just a flat board and if it rained enough, you'd still get your feet wet or muddy crossing it.
New Bridge
Here is a top view.  I think it turned out nice, proving that you can make something useful and nice out of some old junk.
 
Our new garden bridge

Bridge building will work up a man's appetite.  Might as well try out the bridge and go pull some carrots and beets for lunch!

Healthy veggies for lunch


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...