Saturday, March 16, 2013

Feeding the Compost Pile

Normally the chickens do a good job of scratching the cow patties in the pasture and scattering them around.  Lately, however, they've be slacking on their job (I don't know why) and there are numerous cow patties dotting the pasture.  I figured if the chickens weren't gonna do it, someone better.  Tricia bought a nifty poop pitchfork at the feed store for the livestock shows and I put it to good use for this task.

Cow Patty Pooper Scooper
I hooked up the wagon to the back of the lawn tractor and made some stops in the pasture to pick up cow patties.  Before long, I had a wagon full. 
Smelly cargo
Then I threw it all on the compost pile in the corner of the garden.  I alternate cow poop with hay.  I'll incorporate this into my soil next year. 

The compost pile
I'm going to try to do a little work in the garden tomorrow.  I need to work up some more ground and start the Spring Garden..  I'm going to work some compost into the soil in our commitment to continuously build the soil up.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...