Sunday, March 17, 2013

Getting the garden ready

At this time of year, I'm getting the Spring crop planted while working around some items left over from the Fall/Winter garden that aren't quite finished yet like beets, turnips, mustard greens, kale, and cabbage.  Some of the items from the Fall garden I have left to go to seed and I'm capturing the seed to save for next year.

In the row that had a mesclun salad mix, one of the items in the mix of lettuces is still growing.  I don't know the name of it.  Camouflaged amongst the leaves is a visitor.  Can you see him?
It's not easy being green.
I'll zoom in for a closer look.  I think these are called rain frogs.  As a kid, we'd call them "Pee" frogs because if you picked them up, and we always did, they'd pee on your hand.  They sit on our windows and eat the mosquitoes that are drawn to the light. 

It looks like if he could talk, he's say, "Leave me alone."
I have half of the heirloom tomatoes in my little cold frame now.  I'm "hardening them off" by getting them used to the cooler nighttime temperatures before planting them in the garden.  The first several nights it dipped down into the 30's and it shocked them a bit, but I think they'll be okay.  If I can get some ground worked up, I'll plant them later this week or weekend. 
'Maters in the cold frame getting used to the weather

This afternoon I worked up a row and planted some beans.  The other day I planted a row of Contender Green beans.  Today I planted my favorite green bean of all, Italian Roma green beans.  They are flat and are so delicious!
Italian Roma Green Beans

I dug a hole in the row about an inch deep and dropped one bean seed in every six inches.  It worked out perfectly and if all goes according to plan, in 55 days we should be harvesting plenty of these wonderful beans.
Unlike the Contender green beans, these are white and egg shaped.

And here is the finished row.  I turned under a bunch of white Dutch clover in this row, so there should be plenty nitrogen to get these beans kick started.

Row of Italian Roma bush beans planted between the Brussels Sprouts and Kale
So far two types of potatoes and two types green beans planted.  A nice start.  We have lots more work to do.  Time for bed tonight, though.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...