Friday, August 23, 2024

Tricia and RFK Jr.

Here's a photograph of my wife with RFK Jr. taken a couple of years ago in Lake Charles, LA.  He was in town to tape a podcast, and Tricia is a big fan of Children's Health Defense Fund that he founded.  RFK Jr. was working on a case for a friend of Tricia's and she invited Tricia with her to go meet him.

When we learned that Robert F. Kennedy Jr. had dropped out of the presidential race today, we wanted to be sure that we listened to his speech.  It was quite a speech.  In the event that you didn't get a chance to listen, I've linked the video below.  All you have to do is click the arrow below to listen.  I think it's worth your while.

Several things about the speech:  I agree with a whole lot of it.  I liked the way he communicated the fact that he doesn't agree with President Trump on everything, but said they agreed to work together on what they were aligned on and agreed that they had the freedom to debate and disagree on the points that they weren't in agreement on.  RFK Jr. desires an open debate and a free exchange of ideas without censorship.  He also desires to commit to vigorously fight to push forward the things they agree on.

Seems... very reasonable to me.  I'm not in alignment with RFK on several fronts.  I'll bring up climate change for one.  I consider myself an environmentalist.  We are good stewards of the land, producing most of the food we consume at each meal from meat, vegetables, fruit, nuts, herbs and milk and honey produced right off this 5 acre piece of land.  You'd be surprised at how little electricity we use and how little trash we produce and how much topsoil we produce.  The thing that grinds my gears about the climate change issue is the asymmetry of it all.  It appears that the climate change elites fly around the globe on private jets, live in multiple, large mansions and have a gargantuan carbon footprint.   They don't practice what they preach and issue edicts in authoritarian fashion, knowing full well that what they prescribe as cures to the problem inordinately affects the poor in adverse fashion.  

I would hope that RFK Jr. would have a change of heart on that.  But I will wholeheartedly support him on things like the First Amendment and restoring Freedom of Speech in line with the true classic liberal quote, "I may disagree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it."  I'll support him on the de-weaponization of Federal Agencies against fellow Americans.  I'll support him on reducing the corporatocracy that has infected both parties.  I'll support him as he fights against the FDA, Big Pharma, and Big Farm who have wreaked havoc on our nation's health.  I'll support him on ending the forever wars that have caused so much death and destruction.  Finally, I'll support him on trying to solve the chronic health issues that plague our country such that health alone (or lack of it) is an existential threat to our once great nation.

Last year my son had a traumatic injury that threatened his life.  We depended on the Good Lord and good doctors to provide critical care and healing.  I'm two weeks and two days out of heart surgery.  Again, the Good Lord and skilled doctors were there to provide healing.  I want to tell you that I have strong faith in God and had it been His Will that I receive an eternal healing in Heaven, I would have been fine with that, too.

But the fact of the matter is, having the most advanced healthcare in the world doesn't do much for you if we are poisoning ourselves with ultra-processed foods, seed oils, refined grains, and chemical-laden foods that addict us, fatten us, and kill us.  Those that survive are on a plethora of pharmaceuticals that ALL have side effects.  Too many Americans are on anti-depressants.  Kids are medicated to enable them to sit in classrooms.  The number of vaccines given to newborns boggle the mind.  The thing is, this is a relatively new phenomenon.  The rate of obesity in our country, autism, diabetes, auto-immune diseases  and other chronic illnesses are epidemic.  Our grandfathers and grandmothers didn't see these problems at these rates.  50% of Americans are obese!  Can you imagine the medical cost for treating this malady alone?

Our country has a lot of problems, but I am hopeful after today.  I pray that men and women of goodwill can come together to work on solving difficult issues so that our children and grandchildren will have a better future if the Lord tarries.  If you have 45 minutes, give a listen to the speech.  I was pretty much impressed with what RFK Jr. had to say and the passion with which he delivered it.  And in the spirit of his message, even if we disagree on things, we can agree to work together on items we do agree on.

Robert F. Kennedy closed with a quote that was powerful and reminds me of one that Golda Meir once said.  RFK said it like this, "Ultimately, the only thing that will save our country and our children is if we choose to love our kids more than we hate each other." 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...