Monday, August 26, 2024

Colors in the Garden This Time of Year

August has proven to be a very dry month.  We haven't had more than sprinkles in a month.  The parched land cries out for some refreshing.  Hopefully we'll get some soon as I'd like to get the Fall Garden planted.  I'm still real sore and have limited mobility since my surgery, so perhaps this is God's method of teaching me patience.

Therefore there's not a whole lot going on in the garden right now aside from sweet potatoes that we'll be harvesting toward the end of next month.  The eggplant are full of blooms and small fruit.  The peppers are producing and will continue to do so.  From this point through the fall is where we really make some peppers.  Here is a basket of Anaheims, Banana, and Shishito peppers:

At the tail end of the garden, the Heirloom Louisiana sugar cane is very healthy.  I'm considering making some homemade cane syrup again this year.  We haven't done that in a while.  Back by the sugarcane, we have vines galore.  Louffa gourds sprouted up volunteer and their bright yellow flowers dot the landscape.  Honey bees and bumble bees are attracted to those flowers.  It looks like we'll once again make more louffa sponges than we could ever use!

The fuchsia-colored blooms of the Hyacinth bean brighten up the rear gate to the garden that leads to the barn.  Hyacinth beans are strictly for beauty.  I think they are actually toxic, so I won't be eating them.  They sure are pretty, though.

I have a section of reinforcement wire bent over for the hyacinth beans and louffa gourds to climb on.  It would make a really nice trellis or arbor to walk under, but the doggone goats climb up on the garden fence and eat any of the vines that get too close to the outside fence.

I enjoy color in the garden, but I'm more a fan of eating delicious vegetables from the garden.  If the Good Lord's willing, we'll get some much needed rain soon and my post-op soreness will subside so that we can get some seeds in the ground.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...