Wednesday, July 3, 2024

Wednesday Observances

Each morning, the wife and I have a cup of coffee in the sunroom and read the Bible.  We finished Job and now have started back again in Genesis.  As Tricia read, I looked down at the rug.  There was a rock on the rug about the size of a pecan.  The first thing I thought of was "Where did that come from?"  I thought that maybe I had somehow carried that in on my boots.  I reached down and picked it up while we tried to figure out this mystery.

The next morning, seated at the same place, I looked down and saw a shard of glass on the rug in roughly the same area.  I picked it up and looked to the windows on the east side of the little room where the sun filters in.  And then we both saw it.  There was a large hole in both panes in the lower part of the glass!  Then it all fit together.  That rock was thrown by a lawnmower, shattering the window.  We called a glass company later that morning, and they came and measured the glass.  $450 dollars later and our window is repaired.  $450.  That was an expensive grass cutting day.

Later than night I was out walking as I normally do.  I look up at the stars and wonder how it must have been to study constellations and use the stars as navigational tools out on the open waters.  Something strange caught my eye that I've seen several times.  At first I thought it was a UFO.  Now I know that what I am seeing is SpaceX's Starlink satellites going into orbit.  They are 340 miles up and slowly march across the sky.

My phone didn't capture what it really looks like.  It is not a solid line, but in a "train" each one following closely behind the next.  In a semi-related observance from the "heavens," check this out:

This was on the lawn mower.  It is a Luna Moth or and American Moon moth.  Its wingspan is over 4 inches long!  It has "eyes" on its wings to discourage predators.  What I read on them states that they can emit a clicking noise OR can regurgitate its intestinal contents on you.  That's just lovely, isn't it?

There's all sorts of mysteries and "other-worldly" things all around us, if we dare to notice.  Have a wonderful evening!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...