Wednesday, June 26, 2024

A Downtown Excursion

I'm not much on traveling.  It's been at least two decades since I've flown on an airplane.  I guess I'm just a home body.  It's not that I don't enjoy seeing new sights.  I do.  I just like being home, and I like sleeping in my own bed.  I'm happy there.  I can be myself there.  We like to explore things around in our own backyard.

One day last week I came in for lunch and asked the wife if she'd like to go to town for dessert and coffee.  Has anyone in the history of the world ever turned down dessert and coffee?  I didn't think so.  Main Street in Jennings has been seeing a resurgence of sorts.  We went to a little bakery called Southern Crumbs and ordered two coffees with some half and half and split a slice of Chantilly Cheesecake.

Instead of eating outside on the patio chair like we did the last time we were here, we walked down Main Street in a southerly direction until we came to the corner of Main and Market Streets.  On that corner is a building that is 103 years old called the Heywood Building.  It is interesting architecturally and the city's Industrial Development Board recently used a grant to restore the building into an outdoor meeting place.  The building has housed a lot of different enterprises over the years and was the local campaign headquarters for the JFK presidential race in 1960.

They restored the façade of the building, interesting brick work and black glass and added umbrellas and tables.  It was the perfect place to enjoy our coffee and dessert.  Tricia begged me "not to put her in the blog, so I obliged (sort of).  If you look through the fountain, you can see her enjoying her coffee in the background.

Jennings is a long way away from New York City, but I think there's a building there called the Flatiron Building that has this same shape.  I think it is kind of cool looking.

While we tried to make the Chantilly Cheesecake last as we sipped on our coffee, we watched some kids walk across the street from an Art Camp.  We continued our conversation under a lazy June summer sun.  The umbrella on the table made it nice.  Hat tip to the community leaders who saved an old piece of history.  

In a mere six minutes, we were back home.  Not bad for an adventurous excursion for someone who likes to stay close to home.  More adventures await!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...