Monday, November 7, 2022

Like Sand Through the Hour Glass...

Time marches on, doesn't it?  A couple of Saturdays ago, Tricia and I went to a festival in our town.  They blocked off Main Street and people set up booths in the middle of the street selling arts and crafts, food and drink, baked goods and preserves - all sorts of things.  My wife pulled me into an antique shop as she had found some cups and saucers she liked.  While she made the purchase, I looked through little rooms filled with items from yesteryear.

Then I found this guy.  Little Professor.  I remember this thing.  We had one in 1976.  The Little Professor was a backwards calculator.  It would provide an equation like 2 x 4 and you would answer 8.  You had three chances.  If you missed the third try, it would print EEEEEE across the screen and then show the correct answer.  I'd like to say that the Little Professor helped me become better at math, but that would be a miscalculation.  EEEEEEEE.  I've never been strong at math.  I did take a photo of it and texted it to my brother, telling him, "You know you're getting a little age on you when you run across things from your childhood in an antique store."

In one additional nostalgic look back, I was listening to a Country and Western radio station last week.  The DJ was talking to someone and said, "You know how I can find out how old you are without asking your age?"  The lady said, "How?"  The DJ replied, "Do you remember when you could dim the brights in your car with a foot switch?"

I hadn't thought about that little silver button by your left foot below the emergency brake in a long time!  See it in the photo below circled?

The foot switch for dimming moved from the floorboard to the steering column in the 70's and early 80's when cars moved mainly from rear wheel drive to front wheel drive.  Well, time for me to take the brights off and put on the dimmers.  Tomorrow or the next day, I want to show you some more of what's going on in the garden.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...