Thursday, November 3, 2022

Another Water Oak Bites the Dust

Slowly, but surely, we're losing all the water oaks on the property.  We've discussed these trees before.  They make a nice shade tree, but they have a lifespan of about 70 years.  They begin hollowing out on the inside and become a haven for cockroaches.  Then they start dropping branches and ultimately die.  

They are susceptible to a borer worm that really does a number on them.  We've had a number of them that have died and we've taken them down at no small cost.  I was watching the health of one water oak that is by our barn.  When the kids were younger and we had a zip line for them, this tree was at the base of the zip line.  It has supported many a kid (and adults, too) over the years.

Tricia and I were walking and I pointed to the tree.  "Look over there," I said.  The leaves had turned yellow and brown, but this wasn't the normal thing that happens in autumn.  No sir.  This tree had died.


The other trees surrounding it have green leaves.  I walked around the base of the tree and could see holes in the bark.  She's a goner.  I'll have to make some phone calls and see if I can get a tree cutting service to come take it down.  It's a little tricky as I don't want it to fall on our barn.  The goat barn is directly south of it and the dairy barn is directly west.  If it was felled to the north and west, it may make it without falling on the garden.  I'll let the pros handle this one.

As you can see, our firewood supply is running on the low side, so its just as well, I guess, that we replenish the stock of firewood with the old water oak.  We only have a handful of water oaks left on the property.  Once this one's gone, it'll be primarily live oaks and pecans.  

Normally when we have a tree service take a tree down, I ask them to just lay it down and I cut it up.  That saves a little money (but increases lots of work.)  I'm thinking about possibly investing in a chain saw.  In the past, I've rented one at a Rental Shop in Lake Charles for $50 a day.  That way you don't have to worry about keeping one more engine running.  I'll check into rental prices and availability and then pull the trigger on whether or not to buy one.

And that last photo reminds me, I'll have to sharpen the ax and get out the wedge and sledge hammer and get to work on splitting these last remaining logs to get ready for winter.  The hurricanes that have knocked down trees and branches and the borer worms in the water oak trees have kept our stock of firewood full up until now.  I'll wait until it gets cooler to start swinging the ax.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...