Sunday, March 13, 2022

Spring Forward

Before going to bed last night, we set the clocks ahead one hour.  I don't like this change simply to the fact that you lose an hour of sleep.  I like my sleep!  Thirty something years ago, we lived in Houston and were attending Second Baptist Church.  Our pastor would tell us not to set our clocks ahead, but to come to church on Sunday Morning at the "old" time.  Then, when services were over, we'd all move our clocks forward together.  That saved that hour of lost sleep for one more day.

I saw this cartoon and thought it was appropriate.

The roosters, as best as I could tell were still crowing at whatever time they wanted to!

After doing the chores this morning, I walked around and checked out the garden.  I had to rush around on Saturday afternoon and cover all of the tomatoes and potatoes up with tarps and pots turned upside down to protect them from frost as we were set to receive below freezing temps - around 29 according to the Hour by Hour forecast.  I did see a pretty good frost on the ground this morning.  

When I uncovered everything, a few of the tomato plants looked like they had slight damage, but nothing major.  I think they'll do alright.  The other protective measure I took was prior to covering, I watered everything in real good.  The water in the ground holds heat and requires more energy to freeze.  Apparently, the protective measures worked!  We'll see for sure in a few days.

Now that colder temps are out of the way, I'll begin planting the spring garden in earnest.  I plant to plant corn, snap beans, cucumbers and squash this week.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...