Wednesday, March 23, 2022

Son of a Gun, We're Gonna Have Big Fun on the Bayou...

On Tuesday we had some mean thunderstorms blow through.  Strong wind.  Torrential rain.  Thunder and Lightning.  After a rain, I like to do what I've done since I was a kid - walk around and observe the changes.  You can smell the ozone in the air.  The grass seems greener.  You can hear the frogs croaking.  The rainwater is rushing through the ditch.

Our live oak trees are casting off the old growth leaves and are replacing with new growth and tassels.  The leaves were blocking the ditch, holding back lots of water.  I had my rubber boots on, so I started on the easternmost side of the property and proceeded to kick the leaves out of the ditch.  This relieved the back pressure and the one and a half inches of rainfall began to evacuate the property.

As I looked down, I spotted a pair.  The one on the left is a male crawfish and the one on the right is a female.  They were not happy to see me.

I picked them both up to observe them.  The old-timers always say that the thunder and lightning get the crawfish out of their burrows in the ground and bring them to the surface.  They're right!

When I picked up the female, I realized she was full of babies.  Her little ones stay secured under her tail.

Here's a little closer look.  There are dozens and dozens tucked beneath her tail.  She was very protective of her babies and was itching to pinch me, but I wasn't going to allow that to happen.  I set her back down in the ditch so that she could raise her babies.

Sure does make me hungry for some boiled crawfish with potatoes and corn.  Now that the price has dropped off a little, we'll have to go get some platters.  C'est bon!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...