Wednesday, October 13, 2021

Saving Okra Seed At Season's End

We're at the very end of okra season.  It seemed like a short season this year.  Usually they produce longer.  I asked Tricia not to pick some of the biggest, prettiest pods on the stalk as I wanted to save them for seed.  You know, that's one of the hard parts of seed-saving - Saving rather than eating the crop.

So we allowed the okra pod to completely dry out on the stalk.  These are Beck's Big Okra, an old heirloom variety.  I had never saved any seeds from them.  My favorite are Clemson Spineless and we also plant Burgundy Okra for some color in the okra patch.  You can see the okra pod is very dry.  In fact, it has split open, and you can see the okra seeds exposed.  If these had been left any longer, some of the seeds would have popped out on the ground, perhaps producing "volunteer" okra next year.


I brought the dried okra pod inside (away from the mosquitoes) and put it on a plate.  I peeled back the okra, allowing the seeds to roll out on the plate so they wouldn't get lost.  A few fell on the floor and rolled off, causing me to search like crazy to find.  I was doing an experiment to see how many okra seeds I could get out of one pod.


Here are a few of the seeds shown close up.  These seeds are very hard.  When it is time to plant them in the late spring, I soak them in water for a day to soften them up to reduce the germination time.


So when I counted all the seeds from that pod, do you know how many I got?  119!  One hundred nineteen seeds.  I'll put those in an old vitamin container where they'll stay dry and in the dark until next year.  I'll plant maybe a quarter of those next year along with some Clemson Spineless and Burgundy okra.  I need to plant a lot more next year to ensure we have enough frozen, chopped okra for "Gumbo Season!"

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...