Wednesday, October 6, 2021

A Tad Obsessive? Oh I Don't Know

On the ride to work the other morning, I took out my phone and captured a momentous event in a photo.  "Ol' Blue," our Hyundai Sonata passed an impressive milestone in automotive history.  It rolled over 222,222 miles!  She's a little threadbare and has a Check Engine Light that goes off and on intermittently, but still gets the job done.  She gets from point A to point B averaging 34 miles per gallon, and in a time where gas prices are about to jump over the $3 mark, that's an important statistic.  You keep going, Ol' Blue!

The perfect symmetry of the twos on my odometer caught my eye.  Not sure if symmetry is the right word, but you know what I'm getting at.  While we are talking about gas, I wanted to come clean and admit a little "quirk" I have.  

When fueling up, I have ALWAYS clipped the gas nozzle until I come up with a numerically pure number.  I will stand there and keep pressing the nozzle until it turns over to $37.00 even.  When it is in danger of not getting to that number, I'll bounce up and down on the trunk to "make some room" and continue fueling until I get it to the perfect $38.00 or $40.00.  

This practice has a fiscal responsibility aspect to it, too.  I can look at the credit card bill quickly to see if someone else is using my card.  Uneven numbers are easy to spot.  There are occasions, however, when I'm not careful enough and it rolls to $39.01 and there is not a chance of getting to $40.00.  I have a remedy for that.  It is not quite as pleasing as a perfect number, but acceptable, nonetheless.  In those cases, I shoot for ringing up $39.39.  I've remained in the closet about this tendency, thinking that it was just strange and obsessive behavior.

However!  I saw the following meme the other day that brought me a chuckle:

I am not alone!  Come on, fess up, ya'll...  You do it to, right?  Right??

(Okay, perhaps I should seek professional help immediately.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...