Thursday, September 30, 2021

Taking in Afghans

We have kind of an empty nest here on Our Maker's Acres Family Farm.  It's just Tricia and I.  Our daughter has a career in a city an hour and a half from us.  Our oldest son has a career in a city 30 minutes from here and our youngest son is a junior in college.  He lives in an apartment there and works there as well.  The house seems quiet now that they are gone.  We have lots of room now that our little birds have flown from the nest.

At one time we talked about adopting or maybe fostering, but haven't really talked about it much since then.  We're still pretty busy around the homestead.  So imagine my surprise when I came home from work this week and learned that Tricia had taken in a couple of Afghans!  We didn't discuss it.  There was no agreement.  No planning or preparation.  I come home and there are two Afghans now living in our home, sleeping on our couch.

Tricia and I had a long talk so that I could gain an understanding of how this had come about.  She told me that she had received a call from our dear next door neighbor who asked my wife to go over.  Tricia walked next door.  We live close enough where you can walk right over.  Well, they visited for a while and then Mrs. Joyce gave Tricia two Afghans.  Here is a picture of them sitting on our couch:


This post went in a different direction, didn't it?  The blue one is the one Mrs. Joyce made for me and the fall-colored one is the one she made for Tricia.  Tricia asked how long it took her to make one.  She told her that she timed it one time and it takes about 40 hours to make one!  That is such a generous, kind gesture.  Can you imagine?  80 hours of work went into that.  Tricia said that she told her that she's made about 300 Afghans over the years.  That is very impressive!

So here is a close-up of mine.  Blue is my favorite color, so I really like it.  It will come in handy this winter.


And here is Tricia's:

Tricia's is fall-colored and can be decorated.  Above the functionality and beauty of the Afghans, it's the neighborly actions of Mrs. Joyce and her family that really makes me happy.  We didn't know them at all 20 years ago, but they've always been so good to us.  I hope we've been the same to them.  One thing's for certain, we'll take good care of the Afghans and give them a good home.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...