Wednesday, September 29, 2021

Belle is a Lot of Trouble

Our Great Pyrenees dog, Belle is something else.  Believe me, she is a sweetheart, but she has not yet proven to us why she has the "Great" in her breed name.  She has been a great menace.  She is supposed to be a livestock guardian dog, but she eats our laying hens.  Predators eat our chickens when she is in the vicinity and she doesn't so much as bark.  I think Belle and the predators are in cahoots.

As I drove up this afternoon, Belle was in the garage.  Beautiful.  Now I have to park outside the garage and far away from her.  The last time I parked close to her she chewed through my brake lines on the car, emptying the brake fluid and leaving me without brakes on a scary ride home.  Not only did this empty my brake fluid, but it emptied my wallet paying for the repairs.  

Back to today - I asked Tricia why Belle was in the garage as I had repaired her kennel.  Tricia informed me that Belle escaped her kennel.  We had her in the pasture with the reasoning that she would 'grow into her role,' getting to know the animals were her charge.  Good thought.  Belle had other ideas.

She jumped over the barbed wire fence and escaped leaving 'fingerprints' at the scene!  

We don't want her roaming around the neighborhood.  Although we live in the country, we still have neighbors.  We don't want her to get hit on the road.  We also don't want her to get pregnant.  As I type, I hear her barking in the garage and we're wondering how we teach her to do right.

We rescued an old stop sign from a ditch in the country.  I mounted it on the wall out in the barn after using a Sharpie to add a lyric from the Supreme's 1965 hit to the sign:

I wish Belle would 'stop in the name of love, before she breaks our hearts. Think it over, Belle.  Behave!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...